I’ve limited my media consumption these last few months in order to save what shreds of sanity I have left. Even still, every day feels like a barrage of awfulness that my anxiety disorder just loves to feed on. So, for this week, I’ve specifically sought out a few stories that I hope do NOT contribute to your anxiety, and ones that you might not have seen!
- Check out new evidence that you can make big, powerful jets by slamming two galaxies together, as covered by our buddy, Phil Plait. My very first research project involved blazars, so they hold a special place in my heart.
- This week’s #BlackInChem, a celebration of all the fabulous Black people doing chemistry, has found a cheerleader from a surprising source… MC Hammer. Actually, if I’d been following MC Hammer at all, I probably wouldn’t be surprised, as he does seem to dig science.
- A gynecologist talks about the brilliance that is WAP. h/t Muscadine
- I have no idea what literature has to do with Irish liquor, but Bailey’s has released a 25 book set called “Reclaim Her Name,” rebranding books authored by women who originally used a male pen name. Oh, and the ebook versions are free. Also, via Muscadine.
And now for your cute animal fix…
- Pink News reminds us that some penguins are gay. Get over it! via Muscadine, who honestly makes my weekly curating job so much easier. Thank you!
- Thanks to Ryan from Mad Art Lab for introducing me to the livecam of Joey sea otter pup! Check out his super cute squeaks in a compilation video below.
The featured image this week is of “Don’t Give A Fuck Turkey” who was just chilling in my mom’s backyard on Staten Island, peering through her blinds like a creeper.