A very quick Quickies today, as I’m staring down several immediate deadlines…
- Watch Fredrick Douglass’s descendants deliver his speech, “What to the Slave Is the Fourth of July?” Reading and reflecting on this sounds like a good activity, so here’s the entire text, or you can attend a local live-reading.
- New COVID-19 cases have grown 90% in the US in the last two weeks, basically completely undoing any gains we had made during shutdown as the virus targets new locations and populations. The NY Times has some good visualizations that will make you want to throw your computer across the room in frustration.
- Students and faculty have serious doubts about going back to campus in the fall… and that was written a week ago, along with a perspective here by Dr. Isis. Today, the growing unrest among college professors was reported on in the NY Times, in light of things like students throwing actual “COVID parties” where they purposely invite positive people and bet on who is going to get it next.
- Want some good news? Disney+ is now streaming the original cast version of the Broadway hit Hamilton!
- We also need to send a special congratulations to OG Skepchick AB Kovacs and her new husband, Scott Sigler, on their whirlwind pandemic engagement and wedding! They announced it and shared pictures from their socially distanced ceremony on last night’s “Sigler in Place” on Facebook and Twitch. They are entertaining and lovely and you should tune in on “every day that starts with a T.”
Lazy Cute Animal Friday featuring one of my dogs, Luna, who will likely spend the weekend barking at fireworks with Macey.