Hi! I’m new around here. For those of you who didn’t read my disability column that Elyse posted for me, or haven’t hung out on twitter enough to see my various observations/complaints/arguments with MRA’s, I’m Sarah. As a new person, I figured I should just pull a Buzzfeed & write a list of Reasons Why I’m Interesting or Best Reasons To Read Shit I Write, something like that, so here goes (the heavier articles will come later, I promise)!
1) I grew up in Milwaukee, WI, then went to college in a really small town in Iowa, and now live in Columbus, OH. Despite my best attempts, I still haven’t made it out of the Midwest. Looks like I’m stuck here for a while.
2) Beyonce is my queen. Really. I really, really like Beyonce. Trust me, the day she cut her hair was basically my Christmas. I like Beyonce so much I once dressed up as her & danced onstage with a friend for a contest in college (weirdly enough, I didn’t have to use blackface for people to understand I was dressing up as her!). Even more fun fact about it: we won the contest & a few months later met Lady Gaga & told her about it. I’ll save that story for another time, though. :)
3) I’ve only been a progressive person for a few years now. It’s weird to remember things I said/wrote/thought just a few years ago, because they are so dichotomously different from what I think now. Obviously, I’m still growing & changing as a person, so maybe in a few months or years I’ll look back on this & go “wtf was I thinking?”
3) When I was in college, I studied abroad in Johannesburg, South Africa. I went on a program specifically to study human rights, and my classes focused a lot on gender issues. I got smacked down (repeatedly) by my teachers, who were amazing African feminists. I’m humbled and appreciative of their lessons. South Africa is also an amazing place, and also where I got to meet the cute little lion (his name is Solo) in the picture (you can see the full version of that picture here).
5) I’m vegan as fuck. If you make an “lol but bacon!” joke, you are unoriginal, unfunny, and also I hate you. I’m sure I’ll talk about veganism (a LOT), so hopefully you’re looking forward to me “shoving my lifestyle down your throat.” You know, by writing articles on the internet about it. Like a true Nazi or Stasi agent or whatever I am now by becoming a Skepchick.
6) I’ve got Crohn’s disease (as I mentioned in a previous Skepchick post, before I was OFFICIALLY a Skepchick), so you’ll also be hearing a lot about skepticism and the medical industry and disability stuff. If you’re interested, I was on a panel at Women in Secularism 2 about “Faith-based Pseudoscience” where I touched on some of these issues.
7) I like video games? That’s a fact about me, I guess. I was into gaming a lot more when I was younger but the constant sexual harassment I got whenever I went to events (or the accusations that I was a “fake geek girl”) took some of the glamour away from gaming. I’ve gotten back into it more now that I’ve found better communities. The games I play mainly right now are Final Fantasy XIV and Civ V. I was also really into the Metal Gear Solid series, although I think it’s kind of jumped the shark with recent editions (seriously, can nanomachines do EVERYTHING?).
8) I have a degree in Communication Studies & Psychology. I have nothing funny or punchy to add to that information, just figured it was relevant.
9) I have a partner who I think is a pretty cool person. I wrote about us getting engaged, if you’re interested in the story. We got married on Groundhog’s Day, the most important holiday of the year.
10) I have a Deathly Hallows tattoo because I’m a grown ass adult, and that means I can get a symbol from a children’s fiction series permanently inked onto my skin (it’s from Harry Potter, in case you’re one of the five people in the world who hasn’t read the series).
Alright, well, there you have it. Weird information about me! I’ve got some interesting posts percolating in my brain that I’m excited to share, and of course I’m looking forward to all the obsessive vitriol that will soon be directed at me for daring to associate myself with Rebecca Watson & the rest of the Skepchicks. Got any questions for me? :)