Quickies: Combatting antibiotics resistance, UTIs, women powerlifters, and periods
- Sidekick chemicals reverse antibiotics resistance in microbes – “In mice with systemic, lethal infections of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), a combo of one of the small molecules and a standard antibiotic knocked back the infection. Mice treated with just the antibiotic, on the other hand, remained riddled with MRSA.” From criticaldragon1177.
- Where the fuck is our UTI vaccine? – “A new study suggests we may have found a way to get rid of urinary tract infections without antibiotics. But don’t get your hopes up: We talked to a UTI researcher about why, despite widespread demand for a cure, the stinging and burning persist.”
- “Feeling strong is part of who I am now” – ““Iron Maidens is at its heart a celebration of women who prioritize strength training,” Margie Lempert, the events founder, said. And the weights these women are pulling are astounding.”
- Period Piece reminds us that menstruation has always been a thing – “Women have been having periods for as long as there have been people, so it’s ridiculous that even in 2016 it’s still met with embarrassment or hushed tones…Much as its punnish title suggests, Period Piece – created by Liliana Tandon – takes a look at what it’s been like for women to have their periods at various, um, periods in history.”
- Cute Animal Friday! A teeny tiny turtle eating a strawberry and a bunny eating raspberries.
If you’re gonna watch a video of a turtle eating a strawberry, watch the one narrated by Alan Rickman, where the advertising revenue benefits refugee children!
You must log in to post a comment.