Quickies: Academic Papers, the Shining Hotel Horror Museum, and Ben Carson Compares Everything to Slavery
- Texas Officials Raid Several Planned Parenthood Offices, Demand Addresses of Employees – “Some of the information they were seeking is both bizarre and possibly dangerous for Planned Parenthood employees.” From Courtney.
- Ermahgerddon: The Untold Story of the Ermahgerd Girl – “Meet Maggie Goldenberger, who helplessly watched an Internet meme spawn from her awkward adolescent photo. Except, maybe the ‘Gersberms’ girl never existed the way we thought she did?”
- The Shining’s Hotel Is Hoping To Build Its Own Horror Museum – I am irrationally excited about this, probably because I’m picturing what they will do to room 237 and also hiding the creepy twins down a random hallway.
- How to Get Free Access to Academic Papers on Twitter – “Most academic journals charge expensive subscriptions and, for those without a login, fees of $30 or more per article. Now academics are using the hashtag #icanhazpdf to freely share copyrighted papers.”
- Doctors, Not Parents, Are The Biggest Obstacle To The HPV Vaccine – “The starkest findings, however, related to how the doctors approach their discussions with parents. Only half recommend the vaccine the same day they discuss it, and 59 percent said they approach discussions by assessing the child’s risk for contracting the disease rather than consistently recommending it to all children as a routine immunization.”
- Ben Carson Has Now Compared Abortion to Slavery – “Slavery appears to be one of the presidential candidate’s favorite talking points. In 2013, Carson compared it to Obamacare, reports Slate. ‘Obamacare is really, I think, the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery,’ Carson said at the time. ‘And it is in a way, it is slavery in a way, because it is making all of us subservient to the government, and it was never about health care. It was about control.’ “