Quickies: Pop-Colonialism, Freddie Gray Trials, and Hurricanes from SPA-A-A-CE
- Taylor Swift Is Dreaming Of A Very White Africa–“To those of us from the continent who had parents or grandparents who lived through colonialism (and it can be argued in some cases are still living through it), this nostalgia that privileged white people have for colonial Africa is awkwardly confusing to say the least and offensive to say the most.” From Mindy
- Fox News Continues to Try to Make ‘Black Lives Matter Is a Hate Group’ Happen–“Elisabeth Hasselbeck, who may or may not also be a hate group, pondered out loud on live television why Black Lives Matter hasn’t yet been classified as a hate group. To be clear, nobody was saying or wondering this before she opened her mouth on Monday. And now, in true Fox News form, this non-story has spread like wildfire.”
- Six Cops in the Freddie Gray Case To Be Tried Separately–“Each of the six officers, Edward Nero, Garrett Miller, William Porter and Goodson, and Lt. Brian Rice and Sgt. Alicia White, face reckless endangerment charges in regards to Gray’s death. Rice, Porter, and White are additionally charged with manslaughter, and Goodson also faces second-degree murder.”
- Eureka science awards: Mystery of the appendix and other scientific questions explained by school kids–“You may think of your appendix as a redundant evolutionary leftover, but 15-year-old Paige Bebee knows better. Her short video, The Secret of The Appendix, is this year’s winner of the secondary schools’ category in the annual Schools Sleek Geeks Eureka Science video prize.
- Was Banning Tyler, the Creator, the Victory International Feminism Needed?–“And when do we choose to forgive an artist—or a person, for that matter—for past transgressions, as they get older, evolve, hopefully mature? The Beastie Boys’ first album, License to Ill, was notoriously sexist, and was originally almost titled Don’t Be a Faggot. It included the cut “Rhymin’ and Stealin’,” which made reference to “rapin’ and robbin’.” As a group, though, they were able to publicly evolve into human rights activists and feminists (recall Ad-Rock’s famous VMAs anti-rape speech, from a person who at one point told the NME that he “hates faggots”). And plenty of other artists who have a history of actual violence against women are allowed to travel freely—Sean Penn, for example, or Dr. Dre.” From Jamie
- 3 Hurricanes Are Hitting the Pacific at the Same Time, and the View From Space Is Amazing–“Astronauts aboard the International Space Station are marveling at a particularly awesome view from orbit right now. This week marks the first time that three major hurricanes—dubbed Kilo, Ignacio, and Jimena—have been captured simultaneously churning across the Pacific Ocean.” Triplets!
BONUS: This sweet interactive visualization of global weather conditions: earth.
Featured image: NASA Goddard MODIS Rapid Response/Jeff Schmaltz
I have more of a problem with some of BLM’s white allies. Okay, Indians are statistically more likely to be beaten or killed by cops than any other racial group, and BLM’s leaders (in as much as such a disorganized movement has leaders) have invited us to discuss that.
Then BLM’s white allies tell us we’re not allowed to talk about police brutality in conferences and rallies about police brutality. Or about how the police ignore crimes against us, all the way up to human trafficking and thrill killing.
You must log in to post a comment.