Quickies: Scientific Studies, Anti-Abortion Dumpster Divers, and Vitamins for Colds
- Women’s Music Industry Horror Stories: Abuse, Sexism, and Erasure – “From getting groped in mosh pits to being passed over for senior positions, no number of years in the industry or degree of fame exempts a woman from being dismissed like a girl by a man.”
- Hispanic Or Latino? A Guide For The U.S. Presidential Campaign – “This may seem an irrelevant question to many, but as the American presidential season kicks into high gear there’s been a lot of confusion about how to refer to people alternately called Hispanics or Latinos.”
- That Amazeballs Scientific Study You Just Shared on Facebook Is Probably Wrong, Study Says – This is a good reminder that individually, scientific papers don’t mean much. It’s why we seek out consensus. And it’s what makes scientific journalism hard. From cerberus40.
- Abortion Foes Scour Clinics’ Trash For Discarded Records – “Using garbage as their ammunition, anti-abortion activists — who have sometimes been accused of violating abortion seekers’ privacy — are turning the tables. They claim it’s the clinics that are violating patients’ privacy by discarding medical records in unsecured ways.”
- Hark! A Vagrant: Book Tour – Kate Beaton is going on tour, so check her site for dates and locations!
- KY County Clerk Ordered to Issue Marriage Licenses Again, Still Refusing to Do So – Won’t *somebody* think of the persecuted Christians who are just trying to peacefully practice their bigotry??
- Put down the Emergen-C — vitamin C does not ward off colds – It’s almost cold season, which means it’s time for lots of unsolicited advice about which magical supplements to take to “boost” your immune system.