On May 27, 1703, Peter the Great founded the city of St. Petersburg in Russia. I visited there this past summer and it was beautiful–the city is huge and there are lots of museums and palaces to tour. Also, happy Memorial Day to everyone in the US!
- The Invisible Blind Man – This is a must read, especially for people ignorant about what it’s like to be a blind person. Be prepared to check your privilege at the door. From Elyse.
- Mindscapes: First interview with a dead man – The fascinating story of a man with Cotard’s syndrome.
- Dolphin-assisted births? Yeah, let’s not go there. – What. The. Fuck. From Donna.
- Discovered: The Molecule Responsible for Itchiness – You are not thinking of scratching that unreachable spot on your back.
- Court upholds decision not to register teen as child sex offender – What do you think of these cases? From Jack99.
- On ‘Thanks For Not Making Me A Woman’ – A post about the response to a Jewish prayers and sexism. From Veronica.
- Grieving parents speak out against anti-vaccination extremists – The tragedy of this situation is compounded by the addition of anti-vax bullies and weirdos. From Heina.
- Why Some Evangelicals Are Trying to Stop Obsessing Over Pre-Marital Sex – I will admit, this is refreshing.
- ‘Intelligent’ design? Clearly, that’s not the case – From Buzz Parsec.
- Evolution helps cockroaches lose their sweet tooth, increase survival – Ahhh! Nopenopenope. From CriticalDragon1177.
BONUS: SinFest’s take on the Bechdel Test (from Veronica). Also, are you going to watch Before Midnight (my favorite trilogy of all time)? Finally, there is nothing I don’t love about this Billy Joel interview.