On May 15, 1836, Francis Baily observed (what would later be called) “Baily’s beads” around the moon during a solar eclipse.
- Call for Papers: Women of Color Beyond Faith Anthology – The abstract submission date is September 30, but don’t wait until the last minute! From Heina.
- Taliban renounces war on anti-polio workers – Wow, the Taliban is more reasonable than Jenny McCarthy (in this one aspect). From Paul.
- Another Men’s Rights Activist Suicide Exploited by Ideologues – From CriticalDragon1177.
- Canada Sells Out Science – Phil Plait’s article about the Canadian government’s effort to muzzle scientific research (oh Canada, noooo!). From Madfishmonger.
- How ‘Slut Shaming’ Has Been Written Into School Dress Codes Across The Country – What experience did you have with this in your school? (We had something known as the “three-finger rule” for tanktop straps and shorts had to go below the fingertips.) From Arturo.
- Grub’s up: Why eating more insects might be good for the planet and good for you.
BONUS: I am so sad that Bill Hader is leaving SNL–Stefan is my favorite. Here’s a collection of his greatest moments.