On May 13, 1861, John Tebbutt discovered the Great Comet of 1861, which was visible to the naked eye for three months.
- Scientology Is as Bad at Photoshop as It Is at Not Brainwashing People – From Amy.
- Churnalism: US Tool for Journalistic Accountability – From Jamie: “You can paste in text from a news article and it searches through press releases for a match (using an algorithm to avoid false positives) so you can easily tell when a news article is actually just a rehashing of a press release.” Neat!
- How Bing Crosby and the Nazis Helped to Create Silicon Valley – Now there’s a headline I didn’t expect to read today.
- Mother’s Day Mayhem: “Worst” Animal Moms? – Noooo not the baby hamsters!
- Why Do Students Dissect Frogs? – I had to dissect frogs in high school, but I always got one of the mature females that was full of eggs, blech.
- How Colleges Are Selling Out the Poor to Court the Rich.