- No one thought this all-woman debate team could crush it – “In high school, Mireille found that teachers and students took for granted that the head of a club should be a boy. When she would stand up in front of her class and ask, “Why can’t the head be a girl?” they would tell her, “That’s for Americans. You’re trying to be an American.””
- Marketers of anti-Zika repellents slapped with cease-and-desist letters – ““They’re lying to consumers, exploiting fears about a real public health crisis, just to make a buck, and we’re not going to put up with it,” Schneiderman told reporters from a podium adorned with a placard reading “STOPPING ZIKA SCAMS.””
- Can a woman’s voice ever be right? – “The public sniping at women’s voices reflects a deeper cultural anxiety about whether they have a right to speak at all. Classicist Mary Beard points out that this anxiety is historic, written into our cultural DNA.”
- Get the epidural – “It’s interesting that no one cares very much about women doing anything “naturally” until it involves their being in excruciating pain. No one ever asks a man if he’s having a “natural root canal.” No one ever asks if a man is having a “natural vasectomy.””
- Cute Animal Friday! Look at how happy this dog is playing fetch with an automatic ball thrower. And how adorable are these little kangaroo joeys, getting all snuggled into pouches?
Featured image from the wonderful WOC in Tech Flickr