Quickies: Gravitational waves, the Lone Ranger, and supporting Sanders as a woman
- Gravitational waves detected, confirming Einstein’s theory – “A team of scientists announced on Thursday that they had heard and recorded the sound of two black holes colliding a billion light-years away, a fleeting chirp that fulfilled the last prediction of Einstein’s general theory of relativity.”
- This is what happens when a woman supports Bernie Sanders online – “First, people tell you to shut up and look pretty.” From Courtney.
- The Lone Ranger wasn’t just a legend; he was a real, and he was black – “Born to slave parents in 1838 in Paris, Texas, Bass Reeves would become the first black U.S. Deputy Marshal west of the Mississippi River and one of the greatest frontier heroes in our nation’s history.” From Ray.
- International day of women and girls in science – Yesterday was the very first one!
- Cute Animal Friday! Pigeon love. And a baby polar bear for your chilly winter weekend.