Quickies: Diversity on TV, Friends with Pyramid Schemes, and Trust (but Verify) Science
- Aspiring Screenwriter Was Told Her All-Female Buddy Comedy Would Make a ‘Decent Porn’ – The title says it all.
- Award-Winning Casting Director Says Diversity Isn’t A Trend, It’s Evolution – “It’s because of her work with shows like Orange Is the New Black that Euston is now recognized as a leader in diverse casting. But the question of diversity remains a sensitive and charged issue in Hollywood. Earlier this year, a controversial article in Deadline Magazine suggested the trend toward diversity in television casting was ‘too much of a good thing.’ “
- Heavy Meddle: Help! My Friends Want Me To Join Their Pyramid Scheme! – We all have that one friend or relative who joins up with a pyramid, er, I mean “multi-level marketing” scheme. Here’s some advice on how to deal.
- I Can Text You A Pile of Poo, But I Can’t Write My Name – This engineer talks about unicode and the privilege of speaking a “well-known” (western) language online.
- One Shortcut to a Happy Marriage: Vote Republican – “A new study suggests that couples in GOP counties are mildly more satisfied in their wedded lives. But does the state of your union really depend on how you vote?” If I were married to a Republican, my marriage would go sour pretty quickly.
- In science we trust… up to a point – “Science is complex, hard and important, but it is a system of discovery that is riddled with problems. So can we trust it? Just, I think, for now, but the need for reform is profound. Trust it as long as you know that we urgently need to make it work better.” This is why scientific consensus, from multiple studies, is what we strive for, not just one paper with amazing results.