On January 9th, 2007, the first iPhone was unveiled by Steve Jobs. I can’t believe it’s only been six years! (Although I have yet to own one.)

Mary

Mary

Mary Brock is a scientist who works on drugs you've hopefully never heard of. She enjoys cooking to Blue Grass music, messing with her cats, and hosting the Boston Skeptics' Book Club. She was born in the South but loves living in New England (despite the lack of chocolate chip pizza). Mary does not use Twitter and don't even try to follow her, because she is always looking over her shoulder.

AI: Loving hating and dirty secrets

Fight Childhood Cancer and One of Its Biggest Profiteers, Stanislaw Burzynski

1. Avatar of Zhankfor
    January 9, 2013 at 9:54 am —

It’s great news from an advancement-of-women standpoint that Boulder has an all-female county commission. Sadly, as you might suspect if you know anything about Boulder Country (where I used to live), two of the three have taken the (vey popular in Boulder) position that GMOs should be banned outright from public space. I highly doubt it would be any different if men were elected to the commission, mind you – this is just the sort of craziness that Boulderites take for granted.

January 9, 2013 at 9:54 am —

(Oh, also, clicking that link opens my gmail account instead of an article for some reason?)

2. Avatar of Luna
    January 9, 2013 at 10:50 am —

Darn, I had hoped the victim of the cat call was the one who took action. I think these tools should always be confronted, preferably by a large group of bystanders.

I’ve had cat calls from asshole construction guys. The solution is easy: call their boss. One company at Smith College was notorious for cat calling the students; I heard months later they had been banned from the campus.

3. Avatar of Jack99
    January 9, 2013 at 4:21 pm —

Re the antivax book, check out the comment from the author’s sister halfway down this page

The author lost her baby not to vaccination but from a genetic disease passed down from her first husband.

4. Avatar of Jack99
    January 9, 2013 at 4:41 pm —

All this antivax shit was started in Australia by expat American Meryl Dorey.

Usually on Skepchick I try not to come across as anti USA but on this topic perhaps it is understandable. (Hm gun control. Hm war in Iraq. Hm hm hm)

I am sorry that Luna copped some of the splatter of my antiantivax snark yesterday. But in general on this site I think we are mostly on the same side.

January 9, 2013 at 5:31 pm —

Antivax splatter. That creates quite an image! :D

No worries. I’m pro vaccine but worth saying I’m not happy with it being black and white either. As a vet tech I saw awful consequences from cat vaccines.

They give the shot on the leg now instead of behind the neck so if the cat gets lymphosarcoma they can amputate.

It wasn’t from the vaccine; it was from the adjuvant. That’s what makes the vaccine last longer. So they removed it but there can be unforeseen consequences from vaccinations.

In all likelihood we’re probably a thousand times more likely to die from the flu than from the flu vaccine; but new drugs should never be immune (har har) from scrutiny.

5. Avatar of Luna
    January 9, 2013 at 5:34 pm —

Shit. Not lymphosarcoma, just sarcoma.

6. Avatar of criticaldragon1177
    January 9, 2013 at 10:01 pm —

Mary

As dumb as that Anti Vaccine comic book maybe, I’m not surprised that it exists. There’s a lot of things out there that target Children, that promote bad science. Creationists target children all the time, why shouldn’t we have suspected Anti Vaccers to do the same?

7. Avatar of Grand Lunar
    January 9, 2013 at 11:54 pm —

Definately some scary shit with the stabbing story and that anti-vax book aimed at kids.

Despite all the stories, I’m still shocked on just much guys can be assholes towards women.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if somewhere, someone will use a gun next time.

I can’t help but think of my catholic relatives when it comes to the article on reproductive rights.
    To them, abortions equate to murder. And I’m always at a loss of what a rational response would be.

Anyone ever encounter such mentality?
    What usually works, if anything?

January 10, 2013 at 8:08 am —

I would ask them whose life is more important: the baby’s or the mother’s? Because that’s exactly what happened in Ireland. The fetus still had a heartbeat, even though it wasn’t viable and the mother was likely to get an infection. The hospital decided that the dying fetus’s life was more important, so the mother died.

Also, I would tell them that if they don’t like abortion, they don’t have to get an abortion. Being pro-choice doesn’t mean you would get an abortion yourself if faced with that decision.

January 10, 2013 at 8:41 am —

You could also try asking them how comfortable they are about a secular government making decisions about ensoulment. There are many beliefs about when that happens, and if it happens. Should the government be deciding whether people have souls, and when those souls enter the body? And which group’s belief should they go with? Conception, quickening, first breath? Different people of different faiths (and no faith) have widely divergent ideas on when life begins. Why would you want the government to decide between beliefs? Why would you want them involved at all?
      Abortion should be between a woman, her doctor, and her god. If she believes in god. The state has no place in it.

January 10, 2013 at 1:08 pm —

Good points. You could also point to the horrors that existed pre legalisation, when poor women were butchered by unlicensed black market amateurs and corrupt high level police ran protection rackets.

8. Avatar of Jack99
    January 10, 2013 at 12:41 am —

Hunting thru Youtube the other day and seeing all the parodies that have been done makes me think somebody ought to do a parody of that book.

9. Avatar of Jack_Gladney
    January 12, 2013 at 4:16 pm —

Thank link from the former teenage word bully really captures the aimless sociopathy of adolescence. The part that really struck me was that both of the women the kids had harassed later befriended one of them and never brought up the paper. Also the part where the author wrote horribly racist things while at the same time having black friends and genuinely liking them.

I can kind of remember similar contradictions from my own teen years. I wonder if that’s how psychopaths see the world all the time.