Yesterday, Rita Levi-Montalcini, an Italian neurologist and Nobel laureate, died at the age of 103. I don’t have enough words for an adequate tribute, so read more about her here.

Mary

Mary

Mary Brock is a scientist who works on drugs you've hopefully never heard of. She enjoys cooking to Blue Grass music, messing with her cats, and hosting the Boston Skeptics' Book Club. She was born in the South but loves living in New England (despite the lack of chocolate chip pizza). Mary does not use Twitter and don't even try to follow her, because she is always looking over her shoulder.

Sunday AI: Horrible Puns

ICYMI: December 23 - December 29 on the Skepchick Network

1. Profile photo of dr. dr. professor
    December 31, 2012 at 10:51 am —

I partially agree with Higgs, Dawkins is a giant windbag and is the posterchild for overly-long-and-predictable arguments about why Jesus isn’t cool.

Seriously, whenever I see atheists or skeptics online writing long and large rebuttals of religion, I roll my eyes. Yes, religion is untrue. Do we need to write 8000 paragraphs explaining that fact?

Is he a fundamentalist? I wouldn’t say so. Does he love the sound of his own voice? Absolutely.

• Profile photo of Mary
      December 31, 2012 at 11:26 am —

I agree with you. That’s probably why I avoid Dawkins’ books.

• Profile photo of Grand Lunar
        December 31, 2012 at 11:32 am —

There’s that and his sexist remarks that keep me from getting his stuff.

• Profile photo of Jack99
          December 31, 2012 at 6:14 pm —

I’m 100% with all you guys on that. A pretentious pommie prat. Embarrassing. Luna makes a great point too.

• Profile photo of Grand Lunar
      December 31, 2012 at 11:30 am —

“Does he love the sound of his own voice? Absolutely.”

Makes it sound as if Dawkins is the William Shatner of the atheist community. :)

What might be a better approach for Dawkins to take?

• Profile photo of dr. dr. professor
        December 31, 2012 at 11:57 am —

What might be a better approach for Dawkins to take?

In my mind? To shut the fuck up ASAP :).

But from his perspective, he can making long ranting writings that validate his own ego and he makes millions from it. Not only that but he’s got tons of fanboys and girls telling him how awesome he is.

I’m sure it feels like the best job in the world.

2. Profile photo of Grand Lunar
    December 31, 2012 at 11:22 am —

Thanks for the article on Rita Levi-Montalcini.
    Local media here never carries news like that (far as I’ve seen).

3. Profile photo of criticaldragon1177
    December 31, 2012 at 11:29 am —

Mary,

Thanks for helping draw attention to Raif Badawy’s plight. While I’m glad you posted a link to the Amnesty international story about him, I was really hoping that you would also post a link to the petition to free Badawy. While, it isn’t much, it may end up being his only hope of not being execute for speaking his mind.

Free and safeguard Raif Badawy, a liberal Saudi accused of “Apostasy”

4. Profile photo of Luna
    December 31, 2012 at 11:55 am —

It’s about time people spoke up about Dawkins. Yes, we know Creationists need to be stopped. Other than that, Dawkins and his ilk have some nerve acting as though they are speaking for the scientific community when Dawkins hasn’t even published any studies in recent memory.

Sorry, but science isn’t about emotion, and that’s what Dawkins’ drivel boils down to; a long and boring temper tantrum.

• Profile photo of Jack99
      December 31, 2012 at 7:06 pm —

I think you’re right. I would go further. This is something I have thought about a lot and it’s hard to put in words.

Science>>>>>>>Skepticism and Atheism>>>>Dawkins or any other individual.

Science, Grand Canonical Science, with all its millions of members in all the countries of the world, its professional bodies and peer reviewed journals, etc, will make up its own mind in its own good time about what is good and bad science and who is a good or a bad scientist.

“We”, whether Skeptics or Atheists or Dawkins, should be a bit careful to be sure that “we” are a good ally.

5. Profile photo of alt3
    December 31, 2012 at 5:51 pm —

If you value your sanity I would avoid reading the comments, on the Cryptoparty link.

6. Profile photo of Rei Malebario
    January 1, 2013 at 9:58 am —

I think Dawkins is quite funny and he’s been hugely influential in making people publicly declare themselves atheists. I very much enjoy his books and I think that frankly, in this respect, Peter Higgs is being a coward and a prick.

I’d happily agree that Dawkins isn’t perfect (and he was an utter cock about the whole Elevator Incident) but as this isn’t religion and Dawkins isn’t some kind of Messiah figure, he doesn’t need to be. And I think, on balance, he’s definitely ahead. Much like Hitchens who’s also made some stupid and dickish statements but whom I still regard as a net positive.

So here’s a voice in support of Dawkins and a request that Peter Higgs go eat a fucking turd.