On November 19, 1863, (U.S. President) Abraham Lincoln delivered his famous Gettysburg Address. And on that note, has anyone seen Lincoln yet? Did you like it?

Mary

Mary

Mary Brock is a scientist who works on drugs you've hopefully never heard of. She enjoys cooking to Blue Grass music, messing with her cats, and hosting the Boston Skeptics' Book Club. She was born in the South but loves living in New England (despite the lack of chocolate chip pizza). Mary does not use Twitter and don't even try to follow her, because she is always looking over her shoulder.

AI: Novels and Imagination

ICYMI: November 11 - November 17 on the Skepchick Network

1. Avatar of jpeg
    November 19, 2012 at 10:01 am —

I saw “Lincoln” yesterday and really liked it. Daniel Day-Lewis was fantastic. If you like, you can read my not too spoilery review here:

2. Avatar of Nicole Introvert
    November 19, 2012 at 10:08 am —

I’m absolutely WAAAAAAAAY too excited about Divergent. I hope they do it right. Really, I just want the damn third book to come out already to make sure it isn’t a turd.

November 19, 2012 at 10:15 am —

Me too! I can’t wait to find out the casting choice for Tobias. And ugh, waiting until fall 2013 to get the next book is killing me.

3. Avatar of Grand Lunar
    November 19, 2012 at 11:03 am —

Very good find with the gender roles in the school assignment. Don’t know if I would’ve done it when I was the girl’s age, but with experience I’d put “war video games” in the “both” catagory.

I heard of that football player as well. I’m not a fan of the sport, but I think it’s good that she’s able to pursue what she enjoys. I hope no one interfers with that.

A comment from the article on the misogynistic editor said it best, I think:

“I will put cash on the barrel that this dude is an MRA.”

I don’t doubt that, especially given the content of the email.

I amd so glad the “Twilight” series is over with.
    I hope the next big thing is something that Skepchick members can actually praise.

4. Avatar of Grand Lunar
    November 19, 2012 at 11:12 am —

Had to mention this one on it’s own from the Oklahoma lawmaker.

First, it’s ridiculous to see this type of crap happenning AGAIN! Ugh! Didn’t these assholes learn anything from the previous times this was attempted?

Second, there’s this gem:

– “The Ten Commandments found in the Bible, Exodus 20:1-17 and Deuteronomy 5:6-21, are an important component of the moral foundation of the laws and legal system of the United States of America and of the State of Oklahoma,” the original bill to establish the monument stated, according to Think Progress.”

Survey says: bull-fucking-shit!

Phil Plait took this one on in a great article.

Maybe he ought to repost it?

5. Avatar of Buzz Parsec
    November 19, 2012 at 12:14 pm —

The argument in the article about cars being more efficient than buses is old and has apparently been debunked many times. (Sound like a familiar situation?) One of the comments linked to this blog.

6. Avatar of Buzz Parsec
    November 19, 2012 at 1:14 pm —

The example in the “Hidden Gender Bias” doesn’t seem very “hidden” to me. The good news (this was a later edit after the author received further information) was that the actual intent of the lesson was not to reinforce gender biases but to expose them. (BTW, we should all know what Will often says about intention.) It was still a massive fail by the teacher. The little girl should have gotten an “A”, or at least an A-, maybe deducting a few points for not putting everything in the “Both” category.

The football player was awesome. I think Belichek has already penciled her in for the 2020 draft as Brady’s replacement.