Meta Stuff

New Skepchick President Pro Tem

As you all know (because you’re going to be there), I leave tomorrow today for the Women in Secularism conference in DC; then Saturday after my panel, I fly to Berlin for the World Skeptics Conference, and then I fly to Cologne for the European Atheist Convention. Because I’ll be unable to keep a constant eye on Skepchick to keep the site from devolving into a nonstop stream of MS Paint penises, I’ve brought on a new editor to serve as President Pro Tem. The irony is that she probably has no idea what that term means. Her name is Tracy King and she is a filthy Brit.

Many of you may remember Tracy from the many years she spent as a Skepchick contributor. The rest of you may remember her from that guest post she penned two weeks ago. Regardless, you should be very excited right now. I know that all the other Skepchick contributors are – Elyse had an entire folder of MS Paint penises ready to go, but she was happy to repurpose them for Tracy. I’ve used one (cropped) piece of art as the featured image of this post.

So everyone, please welcome Tracy! I trust that when I return in ten days, Skepchick will not have been turned into the latest Queen-worshipping, ale-guzzling, trousers-wearing, lift-riding British colony.

I’ll also take this moment to mention that there’s been a lot of turnover here at Skepchick over the past year or so. Some great friends have departed, and so it’s awesome to have one return. If you’re wondering who is currently active here, you can check out the mostly accurate Who’s Who page, though I’m not going to re-add Tracy until she proves her worth in battle. BLOG BATTLE.

I’m not sure what that means; it’s late and I haven’t slept much and I’m prepping for three conferences. Just give me a break, okay?

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca leads a team of skeptical female activists at Skepchick.org. She travels around the world delivering entertaining talks on science, atheism, feminism, and skepticism. There is currently an asteroid orbiting the sun with her name on it. You can follow her every fascinating move on Twitter or on Google+.

Bang Zoom to the Moon!

1. May 18, 2012 at 7:31 am —

Skepchick posts I look forward to seeing in the next ten days:

– A.I.: What’s your favourite colour?

– A.I.: What’s your tipple? IPA, Ruby Ale or good old fashioned scrumpy?

– Which football team is better? Manchester United F.C. or Chelsea?

– A.I.: Is a Paternoster the best kind of lift?

– (From Mad Art Lab) How to draw a realistic penis in MS Paint.

• May 18, 2012 at 10:21 am —

“- (From Mad Art Lab) How to draw a realistic penis in MS Paint”

Wouldn’t it be easier to take a picture of one? :P

2. May 18, 2012 at 7:59 am —

Welcome back Tracy! I have a little advice – I was arbitrarily appointed temporary Presidenté of Mad Art Lab for a few days not long ago. To consolidate power and strike fear into the hearts of the other contributors, I photoshopped my face onto the head of a dictator and posted it on the backchannel. There was a coup and I was overthrown almost immediately. Moral of the story: Imprison all contributors and set up a puppet government as quickly as you can.

3. May 18, 2012 at 8:25 am —

Welcome back, Teek! With support of the Brians you shall overcome.

4. May 18, 2012 at 8:59 am —

It’s too bad images aren’t enabled still. We could have a welcome parade of roughly sketched, friendly penises in the comments section expressing warm welcomes for you.

Darn you Rebecca!

• May 18, 2012 at 9:42 am —

Actually, images should still be enabled . . . you just have to enter the right HTML for them. Let me check:

EDIT: Yep, it works, there’s just no handy resizing tool anymore.

• May 18, 2012 at 12:07 pm —

Well then, let me give a proper phallic welcome courtesy of the common bedbug.

[img]http://s17.postimage.org/f1v536wj1/Bedbugpenis.jpg[/img]

• May 18, 2012 at 12:09 pm —

Well then, let me give a proper phallic welcome courtesy of the common bedbug.

5. May 18, 2012 at 12:08 pm —

Well then, let me give a proper phallic welcome courtesy of the common bedbug.

6. May 18, 2012 at 2:24 pm —

To arms, my cat brethren! The dog-like sloths are invading!

7. May 18, 2012 at 6:37 pm —

I have been informed that I have again been put in charge of Mad Art Lab during Amy’s forthcoming travels. WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?!
    @Elyse: Good.

8. May 18, 2012 at 7:51 pm —

Did I do something wrong? I have a comment that has been in moderation all day.

I know it was a rather lame joke but it really wasn’t that bad.

9. May 19, 2012 at 11:17 am —

Has someone developed an MS Paintify-photoshop thingy yet?

10. May 23, 2012 at 10:06 am —

Hey Rebecca, if you read this: Is your talk from the conference in Berlin going to be published somewhere? Or have you even written something on that subject already? I’m very interested in that topic (how scientific studies can be misused to justify sexism, if I didn’t misinterpret the title), and I have yet to read a good article about it. Maybe you can recommend some reading to me?