‘Morning! I’m covering for Jen this morning as she is busy (moreso than usual) saving the world!

Masala Skeptic

Masala Skeptic

Maria Walters (a.k.a. Masala Skeptic) has spent a lot of time in ‘furrin parts,’ including Hong Kong, Trinidad, and Pittsburgh. Although her passport is from India, she’s spent most of her adult life in the United States. She currently lives in Atlanta and has an unhealthy affection for science fiction, Neil Gaiman and all things Muppet.

AI: Heroes We Deserve

Buy Girlscout Cookies

1. Profile photo of dtkgreg
    January 11, 2012 at 10:47 am —

Seriously, Georgia? If you really wanted to teach black history, do it for realz!

If 8 slaves could pick 56 fruits when they weren’t beaten at all and they could pick 64 fruits with one beating, how many fruits could they pick if they were beaten four times?

Show your work. Use illustrations to support your answer. Remember: This is Black History Month!

Later, we’ll study this clever phrase for remembering resistor colours.

Honestly, this is probably just one utterly insensitive teacher, but still …

2. Profile photo of Siveambrai
    January 11, 2012 at 10:56 am —

I haven’t read any of the articles yet. But word of advice… If you’d like me to read every link here at Skepchick just make the showing text match that of today’s first story. (jk I read them all anyway)

3. Profile photo of marilove
    January 11, 2012 at 11:43 am —

I will now be thinking of Alexander Skarsgard all day. Naked. I am okay with this.

4. Profile photo of Glow-Orb
    January 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm —

It would be nice to see a popular news source cover the aftermath of a measles or whooping cough outbreak and interview the parents of the dead or disabled children. Pulitzers come out of such stories. ::dangles carrot::

5. Profile photo of Glenn McDavid
    January 11, 2012 at 2:04 pm —

Wisconsin vaccine exemptions: It is not surprising about Madison. See http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2011/01/why-the-prius-driving-composting.html?ref=hp

Key quote: “I talked to a public health official and asked him what’s the best way to anticipate where there might be higher than normal rates of vaccine noncompliance, and he said take a map and put a pin wherever there’s a Whole Foods.”

• Profile photo of Siveambrai
      January 12, 2012 at 9:13 am —

That is so sadly on the mark. I know so many people that I respect as highly intelligent, well meaning people that fall for this fallacious bullshit.

6. Profile photo of Corey Feldman
    January 11, 2012 at 4:15 pm —

I would loose it, if my kids came home from school with questions like that.

7. Profile photo of Jack99
    January 11, 2012 at 4:23 pm —

The comments in the pseudoscience in India article show that we have a long, long way to go in the fight for logic and reason.

For the record, I am 99.99% convinced that homeopathy is total bunk, based mainly on the impossible theoretical basis of it all.

The remaining 0.01% of doubt? Maybe the diluent used contains some of Daedalus2u’s NO bugs!

I would so enjoy that, cos he could sue the lot of them for breach of patent and end their scourge once and for all!

8. Profile photo of Bjornar
    January 12, 2012 at 8:44 am —

The Naked Skargsgaard post is an excellent example of skeptisism.