You may recall that a few weeks ago I asked if anyone wanted to write for Skepchick. Well, the response was incredible – more than 70 awesome people emailed to express their interest, and it was very difficult to narrow it down to just one. That’s why we ultimately decided to bring on two new contributors, and probably ask many more applicants to contribute guest posts.

Our new writers will post their own introductions soon enough, so I’ll keep it short: Natalie Reed is a frequent Skepchick commenter who lives in Vancouver, BC and writes eloquently about human rights, feminism, LGBTQ issues, and particularly the intersection of transgenderism and skepticism.

Heina Dadabhoy is an ex-Muslim atheist and skeptic activist in Orange County, California. Her interests also include LGBTQ issues as well as what it means to be a female non-religious person of color.

So, be on the lookout for Heina and Natalie’s posts! Everyone at Skepchick is excited to have them on board.

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca leads a team of skeptical female activists at Skepchick.org and appears on the weekly Skeptics' Guide to the Universe podcast. She travels around the world delivering entertaining talks on science, atheism, feminism, and skepticism. There is currently an asteroid orbiting the sun with her name on it. You can follow her every fascinating move on Twitter or on Google+.

Ask Surly Amy (sorta): AI's and Inspiring Science

1. Profile photo of Otoki
    November 14, 2011 at 1:50 pm —

Awesome! I’m really looking forward to their contributions. I’m intrigued about what Heina has to say about being an ex-Muslim, since there are a good amount of Muslims where I live but I have yet to meet an ex-Muslim atheist. I’m also glad that Natalie will be delving into trans issues, since I find, as a cis-gendered woman, that it is really difficult for me to understand how certain situations can be problematic until it’s explained to me from a transgendered perspective.

2. Profile photo of BeardofPants
    November 14, 2011 at 1:55 pm —

Congratulations to you both! You’ll be great additions. :)

3. Profile photo of Carl
    November 14, 2011 at 1:57 pm —

Good news everybody!

4. Profile photo of amysrevenge
    November 14, 2011 at 2:00 pm —

Great! I’ve enjoed Natalie’s posts on the SGU forums.

5. Profile photo of no longer supported
    November 14, 2011 at 2:05 pm —

WOO HOO Natalie!

6. Profile photo of mrmisconception
    November 14, 2011 at 2:05 pm —

Yay!
    I know that I like Natalie’s writing and look forward to hearing from Heina too.
    Congrats!

7. Profile photo of Beleth
    November 14, 2011 at 2:45 pm —

Good choice, Rebecca, and good job, Natalie! I’m looking forward to reading Heina’s work too!

8. Profile photo of revmatty
    November 14, 2011 at 3:02 pm —

Congratulations on the new writers, I find Skepchick to be refreshingly diverse in terms of viewpoints and this serves to continue that quality.

9. Profile photo of Amy Roth
    November 14, 2011 at 3:05 pm —

Welcome to the team! I look forward to hanging out with you on Skepchick island!

10. Profile photo of Veronica
    November 14, 2011 at 3:25 pm —

*yay*

Looking forward to read your posts!

11. Profile photo of Natalie
    November 14, 2011 at 3:38 pm —

Thanks everyone! I hugely appreciate your support! :)

I’m not sure what exactly to say in way of introduction that hasn’t been covered. I suppose those who like to read the comment threads already know a bit about me anyway?

I’m honoured and thrilled to be a part of the team, and I’ll be putting up some articles in the very near future. There may also be a little something special in the works, but I don’t think I’m allowed to talk about that yet… ;)

• Profile photo of Natalie
      November 14, 2011 at 3:40 pm —

Also, while I didn’t fare too badly in the gladitorial combat phase of the selection process, I think it was the evening wear competition that cinched my victory.

12. Profile photo of Donna
    November 14, 2011 at 4:11 pm —

Welcome, Ladies! It’s so excellent to meet you virtually! Looking forward to meeting you in person.

13. Profile photo of gregladen
    November 14, 2011 at 4:40 pm —

Welcome!

14. Profile photo of greenstone123
    November 14, 2011 at 4:51 pm —

Awesome and welcome Heina and Natalie!

15. Profile photo of qyiet
    November 14, 2011 at 5:08 pm —

Apparently my acronyms are out of date: What does the Q stand for in LGBTQ?

• Profile photo of Natalie
      November 14, 2011 at 5:26 pm —

“Queer” or “Questioning”.

Also sometimes includes “I” for Intersex, “2” for Two-Spirit, or “A” for Asexual.

16. Profile photo of Buzz Parsec
    November 14, 2011 at 6:05 pm —

Yea, Natalie! Sparkles rule!

Welcome, Heina. Do we know you under a pseudonym, or have I just been falling down on my forum reading? (I’m not prying, just trying to figure out if I’m an idiot for not knowing who you are, so you are under no obligation to answer!)

I’m looking forward to both your posts.

17. Profile photo of almulhida
    November 14, 2011 at 6:10 pm —

Natalie is awesome, so good choice, and the internet needs more ex-muslim atheists, so double good choice. Looking forward to both writers, congrats you two.

18. Profile photo of andiis
    November 14, 2011 at 7:44 pm —

To Heina and Natalie, hellloooo.
    Look forward to your articles.

19. Profile photo of Brian G
    November 14, 2011 at 7:45 pm —

This is great! I’m a big fan of Natalie as a commenter already (and I see you changed your screen name accordingly) and I’m sure I’ll be a big fan of Heina as well!

Shots for everyone in The Ice Lounge! (In my head, Skepchick Island has an area called The Ice Lounge. I have no idea why.)

20. Profile photo of Natalie
    November 14, 2011 at 8:39 pm —

You know, Brian, the funny is I’ve never even read 1984. That just happens to be when I was born.

Oh! My age… that’s something introductiony I could say. I’m 27! I’m also 5’11”, 140 lbs, have brown hair which I dye various wacky shades of red, green eyes, a tattoo of Prince’s “love symbol” on my inner right bicep, my favourite foods are thai and indian, my favourite flavour of ice cream is Haegan-Dasz’s “caramel cone explosion”, and I have never ever, in my entire life, used chapstick.

By the way… Heina, where are yoooouuuu? This is our party, girl! Show yourself so we can shower you in congratulations! :)

• Profile photo of greenstone123
      November 14, 2011 at 8:52 pm —

I have brown hair, green eyes and love thai food too! What cool company I am in! :) Happy welcome party to you!

21. Profile photo of weatherwax
    November 14, 2011 at 9:13 pm —

More viewpoints to read. Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

22. Profile photo of SteveT
    November 14, 2011 at 9:48 pm —

Looking forward to the continuing process of having my biases challenged and my horizons expanded!

Go, Geoducks, go!

• Profile photo of Natalie
      November 14, 2011 at 9:51 pm —

Oh yeah! ANOTHER introctiony thing about me I forgot:

I got my BA from The Evergreen State College (Olympia, WA) in 2007. It’s interdisciplinary, but my focus was linguistics and literary theory (mainly contemporary poetics)

• Profile photo of Natalie
        November 14, 2011 at 9:52 pm —

er… introductiony. I’m having a VERY typo-heavy, dropped-words kind of day.

23. Profile photo of Hena
    November 15, 2011 at 1:35 pm —

Looking forward to the reading the badassery of these two new ladies.. and I especially like how one of them has the same name as me albeit spelled differently.

24. Profile photo of Jack99
    November 15, 2011 at 11:45 pm —

I have been away for a few days so I’m late to this but I want to congratulate Natalie and Heina, as well as Rebecca and the Skepchicks, for excellent choices and I look forward eagerly to future posts!

It is great to see Skepchick going from strength to strength!

25. Profile photo of Jack99
    November 15, 2011 at 11:50 pm —

The second comma should probably go after “choices”.

Mangled grammar as usual but you get my drift – very pleased.