Good morning! I’m filling in for Amanda this morning, as she is recovering from a bender (lucky bitch).

Chelsea

Chelsea

Chelsea is the proud mama of an amazing toddler-aged girl. She works in the retail industry while vehemently disliking mankind and, every once in a while, her bottled-up emotions explode into WordPress as a lengthy, ranty, almost violent blog. These will be your favorite Chelsea moments. Follow Chelsea on Twitter: chelseaepp.

Chicago: Drinking Skepchickally with Ashley Paramore!

Morgellons and Medical Skepticism: Fibers Under Your Skin? You're Crazy.

1. Profile photo of FFFearlesss
    February 24, 2011 at 10:33 am —

Maybe I’m reading the graphs wrong on the intelligent drunk people story, but according to the article, “very bright” people get drunk every other month on average. According to the graph right underneath it though, it seems like they get drunk less than once every 6 months. Am I reading something wrong?

2. Profile photo of Chelsea
    February 24, 2011 at 10:38 am —

@FFFearlesss: The way I’m reading it is that the number of times they binge drink and the number of times they reach drunkenness correlate with each other. So every time they binge drink, they get drunk.

3. Profile photo of QuestionAuthority
    February 24, 2011 at 11:07 am —

I categorically deny that I had anything to do with whatever Amanda’s recovering from….
    (for those that don’t know, my name in meatspace is Bender…) ;-)

Though OTOH, perhaps I with that I HAD something to do with it. It sounds as if she had far more fun than I did last night…

4. Profile photo of Laura
    February 24, 2011 at 11:18 am —

I suspect that there is a correlation between the binge drinking of the “very bright” and studies that show the smarter you are, the less action you get. Just sayin’.

5. Profile photo of Brian G
    February 24, 2011 at 12:12 pm —

The Rubber Hand study was really interesting. I’d love to hear Felicia’s take on the experience.

6. Profile photo of scribe999
    February 24, 2011 at 12:22 pm —

I love that accompanying photo for the Asa Andrews story…old school snake oil charlatan! Reminds me of that blown-up reproduction of a ‘Hamlin’s Wizard Oil’ ad that was in the hallway at WebMD when I worked there.

7. Profile photo of Amanda
    February 24, 2011 at 12:26 pm —

So this is what I get for asking for a sub, huh? :) Thanks, Chelsea.

8. Profile photo of scribe999
    February 24, 2011 at 12:30 pm —

@Amanda: Look on the bright side…I had a night out on the town last night, and I didn’t even get a SNARKY sub ;)

9. Profile photo of Buzz Parsec
    February 24, 2011 at 1:40 pm —

@FFFearlesss: I agree with your interpretation of the graphs. Both show essentially the same thing, and neither jibes with the text of the article. If it was really “every other month”, the numbers in the bar graphs should be in the range 5 to 7, not 1.5, which is more like once every nine months. On the other hand, if the vertical axis is mislabeled, and is actually the monthly and not yearly frequency, then 1.5 means 18 times a year, which also doesn’t match the text.

Innumeracy fail.

10. Profile photo of unexplainedbacon
    February 25, 2011 at 1:18 pm —

My proposed practical explaination:

The smarter you are, the more likely it is that you’ll need some vodka to deal with people who believe that we need to start paying teachers less or that evolution is “only a theory”.