Cindy Jacobs reveals that the reason God ignored your prayers to cure cancer was because he was too busy making a pair of her shoes last for “years and years and years.”

via Right Wing Watch

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca leads a team of skeptical female activists at Skepchick.org and appears on the weekly Skeptics' Guide to the Universe podcast. She travels around the world delivering entertaining talks on science, atheism, feminism, and skepticism. There is currently an asteroid orbiting the sun with her name on it. You can follow her every fascinating move on Twitter or on Google+.

EVENTS This Week—Matt Dillahunty, Greta Christina + a Skeptical Birthday Gift for Burzynski

Will There Be More Surly Grants?

1. Avatar of Kaloikagathoi
    January 10, 2013 at 12:06 pm —

I used to think it was God making my vibrator batteries last forever, but it turned out it was the Energizer Bunny. Now I pray to it instead.

/coarse humour

2. Avatar of fullyladenswallow
    January 10, 2013 at 12:07 pm —

Cindy certainly is a hoot, isn’t she? Perhaps she could ask God to multiply my job offers or at least my mortgage payments.

3. Avatar of CerealDave
    January 10, 2013 at 12:09 pm —

There’s a Greta Christina joke begging to come out here.

4. Avatar of Lukas
    January 10, 2013 at 12:20 pm —

Weird. My shoes always last for years and years and years, too. There must be some kind of Atheist god looking out for us Atheists?

5. Avatar of IsisUptown
    January 10, 2013 at 12:26 pm —

If G-d multiplies food, why does anyone go without? Should I be praying instead of setting up a fundraiser for Second Harvest? Right here, if you’re interested: https://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/shyra-latiolais/orangeyouluckyyouhaveenoughtoeat

Also, I hope the shoes were really cute.

6. Avatar of Nicole Introvert
    January 10, 2013 at 1:01 pm —

God must have made those Liz Claiborne ladies’ sports blazers from the 80s with shoulder pads. My mom still wears hers and the damn things won’t fall apart.

January 10, 2013 at 1:14 pm —

It’s still nearly impossible to find blazers/suit jackets without some sort of padding, usually built-in. I have wide shoulders. I do not need padding!

7. Avatar of aiabx
    January 10, 2013 at 1:02 pm —

I’m sticking with Joe Pesci. He can get things done.

8. Avatar of James Fox
    January 10, 2013 at 2:21 pm —

I’m thinking Cindy is actually quite disappointed that god gave the long lasting endurance to a pair of shoes instead of her husband.

9. Avatar of Rory Parle
    January 10, 2013 at 8:02 pm —

Maybe God is also responsible for any given cancer lasting “years and years and years”. He or she seems pretty indiscriminate with making things long-lived.

10. Avatar of Colleen Ahern
    January 11, 2013 at 12:01 am —

Apparently god doesn’t like Van’s. He always makes mine wear out in less than a year.

11. Avatar of capndanger
    January 11, 2013 at 10:31 am —

I used to be a Mormon, and this type of thinking was CONSTANT. One big confirmation bias party. You’d grab a hold of any little coincidence, blow it out of proportion and take that as proof positive for god. You’ve got your “it was God’s will” card ready to play when you can’t make it fit.

12. Avatar of Madfishmonger
    January 11, 2013 at 9:05 pm —

The bees are in the what now?