Do you have way too much money and you don’t know what to do with it all? Good news! There are a lot of worthy causes and awesome merchandise for the discerning loaded skeptic.
- First up, listeners of The Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe may have heard our interview with Seth Shostack a few weeks ago, in which I recommended that SETI use crowdsourcing site Kickstarter to raise enough money to get going again. Well, someone must have listened (or had the same idea), because SETIstars has launched as a way to do just that. They’ve already raised $30,000 of their $200,000 goal! If you give 100,000 I bet Seth will name something cool after you.
- Speaking of Kickstarter, Skepchick reader Jim sent us this project that’s hoping to produce a documentary on the WAVES (Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service) of World War II. They’re really close to completion, having raised over $5,000 of their stated $7,000 goal, but there are only six days left! It sounds like it’ll be an amazing story, so I really hope they make it.
- More of a comics fan? Well, former Mad Art Lab contributor Box Brown has started a Kickstarter campaign to fund his “new type of old comics publisher,” Retrofit Comics. They plan to publish floppy-style comic books from great artists like James Kochalka (I <3 Monkey vs Robot!). Sure, it’s not necessarily going to be skeptical in nature, but Box is a great skeptic and an awesome artist, so we’re happy to support him any day. Pledge $75 to get a year-long subscription plus a bunch of fun prizes!
- TalkOrigins is raising money to buy the rights to the bankrupt creationist propaganda film Expelled, starring Ben Stein! The movie is going up for auction, so they’re raising as much money as they can. Any money not used to purchase the rights will instead fund the TalkOrigins Archive Foundation, so it’s win-win.
- A lot of you have already donated (thanks!), but I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that this is the last week to help us out with SkepchickCon 2011! You can donate using the little widget there on the right.