A fancy new camera has found its way into my household, and so obviously I’m going to be making a lot more videos of my cats. With that in mind, I created a new YouTube channel for them, which you can subscribe to if you’re the sort of person who likes your cat videos in HD. On that note, in response to a ridiculous number of you asking for it on the recent survey, I’m soon going to once again starting to update my regular channel with weekly videos.

The first HD Brendon and Fry video, which I am stupidly proud of, is after the jump.

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca leads a team of skeptical female activists at Skepchick.org and appears on the weekly Skeptics' Guide to the Universe podcast. She travels around the world delivering entertaining talks on science, atheism, feminism, and skepticism. There is currently an asteroid orbiting the sun with her name on it. You can follow her every fascinating move on Twitter or on Google+.

Tennessee vs Arizona: Which is the Worst?

Skepchick Quickies, 4.16

1. Profile photo of wdonohue
    April 15, 2012 at 7:03 pm —

Logitech C910? All the cool kids are getting them.

2. Profile photo of haydenmuhl
    April 15, 2012 at 7:16 pm —

Hooray, more videos!

3. Profile photo of weatherwax
    April 15, 2012 at 8:01 pm —

I think that qualifies as cruelity to cats.

But I say much because I spent a few hours doing the same thing to my 4 year old nephew.

• Profile photo of weatherwax
      April 15, 2012 at 8:03 pm —

"But I CAN'T say much…"

• Profile photo of Anne S
      April 16, 2012 at 11:28 pm —

"Cat Behaviorist" Jackson Galaxy thinks that laser pointers really are cruel, because they cause cats immense frustration that will result in them attacking their owners: http://jacksongalaxy.com/2011/11/28/laser-toys-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-part-3/

BUT he also champions Spirit Essences, a line of holistic remedies for pets, so I don't put much stock in what he says…

• Profile photo of Rebecca Watson
        April 17, 2012 at 8:59 am —

Yeah, I've heard that argument. I'd be willing to believe that there are some cats who would be upset about it, because not all cats are the same and you have to figure out what your cat prefers. As for every cat I've ever had, occasional play with a laser pointer has caused zero apparent behavior issues. Brendon and Fry are floppy cuddle monsters who crave attention and have never been inappropriately aggressive for a second since we brought them home last year. After we put the laser pointer away, they usually collapse, exhausted, and are immediately ready for snuggles.

But like I say, all cats are different.

4. Profile photo of Madfishmonger
    April 15, 2012 at 8:11 pm —

Kitteh happeh

5. Profile photo of Mary
    April 15, 2012 at 8:26 pm —

I like making the laser go in a circle so that the cats get dizzy and stumble over. Or when we used to have wooden floors, I would change the direction at the last second but they'd skid a few feet into the wall.
    Our newest cat Violet startles easily–if you touch her when she's not looking, she'll do this trilled meow the first time. It's so cute!

6. Profile photo of Kammy
    April 15, 2012 at 9:14 pm —

Holy shit! What's with the spotlessly clean floor? Did you use all the crazy blog money to construct the most diligent cleaning robot ever?
    Cute kitties!

• Profile photo of Rebecca Watson
      April 15, 2012 at 10:17 pm —

Not a robot, just a magical spell that somehow kept the great tumbleweeds of Fry-fur from drifting across the screen throughout filming.

Brendon hardly sheds at all, but I feel like we get a fresh new Fry at least once a week.

7. Profile photo of Luna
    April 15, 2012 at 9:37 pm —

He's very good at that.

8. Profile photo of ineedavacation
    April 16, 2012 at 1:16 am —

I'm a little ashamed of myself for not thinking about requesting more of your youtube videos when I filled out that survey, but to be fair I was distracted by question seven… I mean c'mon, who wouldn't think a psychic cow is the best animal ever

9. Profile photo of robro
    April 16, 2012 at 12:40 pm —

What happens when an Anti-Caturday and Anti-Anti-Caturday meet? Do they anhilate each other in a swarm of fur balls and tentacles? Inquiring minds need to know.

10. Profile photo of Anne S
    April 16, 2012 at 11:25 pm —

One of my cats refuses to chase the laser on the wood floor, stickin exclusively to the kitchen rug where he can get traction. However, that doesn't keep him from looking ridiculous when he chases the laser around in a circle a dozen times.

Our other cat just uses the laser as an excuse to run from one end of the house to the other. Not actually chasing the lasing, just running.