Anti-Science

Of Course Jordan & Mikhaila Peterson Caught COVID-19 Because They Thought It Wasn’t a Big Deal

This post contains a video, which you can also view here. To support more videos like this, head to patreon.com/rebecca!

Transcript:

Earlier this year I talked about how Jordan Peterson, the lobster-loving, monogamy-pushing alt-right psychologist, backtracked slightly on his insistence that all your problems can be solved with personal responsibility by developing an addiction to benzos, dropping out of rehab, flying to Russia to pay doctors to give him the scientifically suspect “rapid detox” treatment, which gave him brain damage.

Allow me to catch you up on what’s happened in the six months since then: things got worse. When Peterson woke up from the coma the doctors put him in for the detox, he was unable to walk or talk and he had pneumonia, which nearly killed him. But he pulled through and he was apparently getting better with months of therapy in Russia and then Florida. But then, for some reason, he decided to travel from Florida to Serbia to continue with therapy — but not therapy for the brain damage he got from rapid detox. According to an interview with a Serbian newspaper, he was there still seeking treatment concerning his addiction to benzos. So…the rapid detox didn’t even work to help his withdrawal symptoms and/or his addiction. That isn’t surprising — as I mentioned in my previous video, research shows that rapid detox just does not work. It’s more dangerous than slow tapering, patients are likely to renew their drug use, and it can actually make withdrawal symptoms worse, which is why you can’t get that treatment in North America, which is why Peterson went to Russia.

So now he’s in Serbia with his daughter, Mikhaila Peterson, and her three-year old daughter. You may remember Mikhaila from this video I made nearly a year ago in which I criticize her for pretending to be a health guru, claiming she cured her own chronic Lyme’s disease and many other afflictions by switching to an all-meat diet, which is stupid and unhealthy and gross. She was charging people $599 a year to join a support group where they could talk about how great their farts smell now. That forum is sadly no longer active. I have no idea if anyone paid her $599 and if they did, if they got a refund for the 9 months or whatever that they didn’t get to use.

Speaking of Mikhaila, she recorded a podcast with her dad in which they defend their action from the previous year, answering such important questions as “why would Jordan Peterson, a psychologist who specializes in addiction, go cold turkey off benzos instead of properly tapering?”

Mikhaila and her Russian husband are the ones who got Jordan Peterson into the rapid detox program, and Mikhaila stayed with Jordan through his travels after. Once in Europe, she made no secret of the fact that she was going out to clubs, despite the fact that by this point COVID-19 was in full pandemic swing. She even posted to her Instagram stories a video of her taking a drag off a hookah with the words “coronavirus? Never heard of it #serbianvibes.” Again, this is while she’s staying with her father who nearly died of pneumonia a few months ago and who is still in treatment for benzo addiction.

So you probably see where this is going: the entire family got COVID-19. Here’s what she wrote on Instagram:

“we got to Belgrade and the country was COMPLETELY open, no masks necessary. A month later everything shut down again after elections. Politics… We all went back into quarantine because we’re with my dad and he’s high risk. He already had pneumonia this year. 10 days into the strict quarantine – and I mean strict, we didn’t go outside of the property – my toddler got symptoms of a flu – swiftly followed by the rest of us. Turns out a lot of people in Belgrade caught it, she must have caught it at the playground.?”

Okay, I’m just going to pause it there. “10 days into the strict quarantine, and I mean strict” does not exactly jib with the literal next sentence, “she must have caught it at the playground.” Like, no, you can’t say you were strict and then blame your toddler. Was the playground outside? Because studies show that transmission outside is extraordinarily rare unless you are having a long face-to-face conversation with someone who has it or are in a crowded environment, like a music festival. It’s far, far more likely that you will catch it inside, like, oh, I don’t know, at a HOOKAH BAR? WHERE YOU ARE SHARING A HOOKAH WITH PEOPLE??

She goes on to say that Jordan’s doctor said “40% of his lungs were affected” by the virus but then reiterates that she doesn’t think lockdowns help. You know what, maybe she’s right. Maybe it doesn’t work because there are too many complete and utter morons who are violating it.

She says that the family is now totally recovered, but Jordan’s fans aren’t so sure because she’s being a bit stingy with the proof of life. Over on the Joe Rogan subreddit they’re convinced that Mikhaila is trying to murder her meal ticket, first by kidnapping him and forcing him to undergo a dangerous pseudoscientific treatment and then by literally giving him COVID-19. People who are fans of Jordan Peterson’s blunt “philosophy” of self-reliance and “facts over feelings” have no idea how to interpret this insane series of events, and instead of just realizing that Jordan Peterson has always been a fraud and a moron, they have decided to fall back on that old chestnut, misogyny. Obviously Jordan Peterson is not a smooth-brained con artist — it’s just that Mikhaila is the con artist, and Jordan has a soft spot for his daughter. So she has used her ingenious wiles to make him do as she pleases, forcing him first to help her shill her meat diet, then to promote her podcast, to hand over the keys to his social media, to get addicted to benzos, to go to Russia against his true desire, and now to sit feebly in a Belgrade apartment while she flounces around town catching deadly viruses. Ultimately she will murder him, make it look like yet another hapless accident in a long series of whoopsies, and take her seat on the throne of the Peterson Kingdom where she will rule pseudointellectual incels with an iron fist.

I mean, personally I will continue to ascribe to the belief that Jordan Peterson is a moron who is ruining his life by making terrible, ill-informed decisions and such a person has managed to raise a daughter who has a similar intellect and skill, but I think you’ll agree that each theory has equal amounts of data to support it.

I guess I’m supposed to end this video by saying “I hope Jordan Peterson recovers soon.” Which technically I did just say. So. Sure. That.

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca is a writer, speaker, YouTube personality, and unrepentant science nerd. In addition to founding and continuing to run Skepchick, she hosts Quiz-o-Tron, a monthly science-themed quiz show and podcast that pits comedians against nerds. There is an asteroid named in her honor. Twitter @rebeccawatson Mastodon mstdn.social/@rebeccawatson Instagram @actuallyrebeccawatson TikTok @actuallyrebeccawatson YouTube @rebeccawatson BlueSky @rebeccawatson.bsky.social

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button