Quickies: Racism at the CDC, bad COVID decisions, and more…
I find myself catching up after a week in my online-teaching hide-y hole…
- Employees of the Centers for Disease Control call out a “toxic culture of racial aggressions.”
- Meanwhile, the Trump administration orders hospitals to bypass the CDC and send data to the White House, likely in an attempt to continue to deny reality. Due to a huge public outcry, hospital data has been returned to the CDC website… for now.
- Ionizing air-cleaning devices are selling like hot cakes, but the evidence that they can make buildings safer for employees in light of the COVID-19 pandemic is circumstantial at best. It’s really sad, but not surprising, to see modern day snake oil salesmen taking advantage of people’s fears.
- The STEM communication world lost a brilliant mind this week, Grant Imaha of Mythbusters fame. Do watch this amazing tribute by the Mythbusters team on Facebook.
- If you’d like to celebrate science, make sure you get a chance to look for Comet C/2020 F3 NEOWISE in the pre-sunrise or post-sunset sky. I have NOT seen it yet because a) my schedule has been a mess, and b) it’s been way too cloudy here. But the photos are incredible!
- The Washington NFL team is ACTUALLY going to change its racist name and logo. Didn’t actually think I’d see the day…
- An unexpected side effect of the continued pandemic and shut downs… a coin shortage makes it hard to get change at the store. via Topher
For Cute Animal Friday, check out the Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards, via muscadine. I did not submit the featured image, but I think my silly dogs belong in those ranks, wild or not. Yeah, they actually sleep like that.
You must log in to post a comment.