Late Monday Quickies and Very Late CAF
Hey, all! I’d like to expand on my previous post with helpful COVID-19 links. Also, I owe you a Cute Animal Friday!
These links came in from Mad Art Lab‘s Seelix:
- A coronavirus explainer for kids, from NPR. Also helpful is the Science News for Students coronavirus Q & A.
- Although this is Cincinnati specific, here is some great advice on supporting local businesses during the pandemic
- This one is wildly relevant to me, how the coronavirus crisis interacts with mental health. In fact, my mental health provider sent me anxiety (GAD-7) and depression (PHQ-9) assessments and lemme tell ya, I bet I got a pretty high score on the first one.
- Our mutual friend Bethany Brookshire tweeted out a thread of actual experts that you should be following for good information.
Here are some more resources that I found over the weekend:
- This one may not be a good idea if you’re going to obsess over the stats, but this is a very good tracker of COVID-19 activity out of Johns Hopkins University, using ArcGIS.
- This one came in via Skepchick Discord user catherwood! The citizen science/crowd computing program [email protected] is working on “potentially druggable protein targets from SARS-CoV-2” and you can donate your computer’s down time to help.
And because we need it more than ever, it’s Cute Animal Whatever-Day-It-Is, with the first three generously provided by Muscadine:
- This rescue dog competes in an agility competition but really, he don’t GAF
- Otters being combed by their humans
- Mammal photographer of the year winners include the goofiest seal, a yoga-posing mountain hare, and a fox literally standing on someone’s windshield.
- Meanwhile, in Chicago, since the aquarium is closed to human visitors, the penguins get a tour!
Have a story or cute animal to share? Join the conversation on Discord or reach us via our Contact Form. Stay healthy and stay safe, everyone.
You must log in to post a comment.