It’s Friday after a VERY long week… and frankly I don’t know where to begin on this week’s news. Then again, I hope you are tuning into some actual reputable news source (NPR nerd here) when you actually need to know what’s going on, not just my random list of weirdness.
Here are a few stories that may have flown under the radar with every thing else going on:
- Human Rights Watch released a report on 200 people who were killed or abused after being sent back to El Salvador by the United States. The stories are brutal, but the US continues to limit who can come here for asylum.
- The FBI put’s white nationalists on the same threat level as ISIS. No word on whether they realize the irony of that when the head of the executive branch finds them to be “very fine people.”
- Graduate students at UC Santa Cruz go on strike as they barely make a livable wage while supporting (dare I say, driving?) the university’s teaching and research.
- Brazil’s government asks the US to hold its beer while it appoints a creationist to lead a major educations agency.
Okay, now for some positive stories:
- An explainer of all the awesome nods to her Arabic roots in Shakira’s Super Bowl Halftime Show. Watching mainstream America grapple with a zaghrouta has been HILARIOUS.
- A neuroscientist from Zimbabwe has started a project to highlight African researchers in STEM all around the world.
- Science webcomics made for your smartphone sized screen!
And for the cute animal fans, here are a few stories sent in by Muscadine:
- This one is getting all kinds of shares, but it’s just so cute… Derrick Nnadi celebrates his Super Bowl win by paying the adoption fees of a whole shelter full of doggos!
- A rare sperm whale all but BOOPS a remote operated underwater vehicle, delighting scientists.
- A bear. Eating Cake.