Quickies: 2019 only gets more depressing and even weirder…
... but, cute animals?
Happy Friday, everyone! Or is it? It’s been a bit hard lately to think positively in this country when we’re caging immigrant families and recreating fascist symbolism in the capital. Let’s take a closer look at the first week of July in the bizzarest timeline.
- Vermin Supreme is running for President in New Hampshire once again, but this time, with a twist… he’s actually taking it semi-seriously. After four years as a “joke” candidate, promising free ponies and time travel research while wearing a boot on his head and glitter-bombing homophobic opponents, he’s actually seeking the Libertarian party nomination upon which he’ll adopt a less fanciful platform. Well, slightly less fanciful.
- Journalist describes his awful experience in being detained by Customs and Border Patrol while all of his devices were scrutinized without a warrant. Might want to bookmark this guide to digital privacy at the US Border by the Electronic Frontiers Foundation for future reference. Link via Mary.
- Props to Canadian cartoonist Micheal de Adder for his scathing anti-Trump cartoon, even though it did seem to lead to the cancellation of his editorial strip in a newspaper that has been running for 17 years. (CN: cartoon visually references disturbing photo of dead asylum seekers.) Story via Muscadine and Rhuu.
- Jewish activists and their allies took to the streets in Boston to protest the ICE detention facilities at the border, because Never Again means Never Again. Link also via Muscadine.
If you’re in the US, please, call your reps about the humanitarian crisis at the border. I was at an event recently where a Democratic US House Rep reminded supporters that your reps need to hear from you regardless of their party affiliation. They do tally those calls, even when you agree with their stance, and it helps them to know how many of us out here are disgusted.
Anyway, it’s cute animal Friday…
- Security for an art museum in Japan valiantly tried to keep two kitties from entering, but the kitties eventually get their own museum merch. Via Ranson.
- Because I love trolling Maria… BATS! Plant attracts bats, eats its poo, because it’s bad at catching flies. WHAT?! Via Muscadine.
- Something for that old-school skepticism… a man finds out that his shed’s “poltergeist” is actually a mouse. Via Rhuu.
- I was too lazy to search for a creative-commons image related to these stories, so featured is another picture of my dog, Macey, who will only use her new doggie pool if given treats. Because apparently water is bad.
Have a suggestion for the Quickies or a cute animal to share? Contact us!
You must log in to post a comment.