Welcome to the “Nicole is slightly tipsy and on work-cation in Puerto Rico” edition of the Friday Quickies! I am here for fun and vacation AND to visit the world famous Arecibo Observatory for the very first time.
- Picking up on last week’s theme, Amazon removes several book promoting bleach cures for… well everything. Link via Muscadine. (Edited 6/21/19 to fix attribution.)
- Is Jupiter’s Great Red Spot unravelling? It’s been shrinking and getting less red for some time, so the 400+ year old storm may be beginning to wind down. Link via Muscadine.
- Want to ensure that school kids continue to get healthy lunches now that summer is approaching and school is letting out? Find summer meal sites near you at the USDA website. When I was doing teacher professional development in Illinois I saw a lot of great volunteer efforts going into this in the schools during the summer. via Kristen, my Puerto Rico host!
And NOW for more Cute Animal Friday!
- I’m not sure if fireflies count as cute, but they are lovely. Here are 12 places to see synchronous fireflies around the world. Also via Kristen.
- I heard these itty bitty frogs for the first time tonight in San Juan! Check out the coquí, teeny tiny frogs native to Puerto Rico.
- Jamie sent a video of a momma raccoon saving her raccoon babies on a river.
- Another time long ago, I was visiting another radio observatory, the Very Large Array in New Mexico. I saw a roadrunner and, as this article shares, yes they are real and cool! via Muscadine
Have a suggestion for the Quickies or a cute animal to share? Contact us!