Quickies: Amazing Science Art, Trading iPhones for Health Insurance, and the White House Wiretapping Pivot
- North Korea’s scary past 24 hours, explained – “To be clear, we’re still relatively far from the point of actual military conflict breaking out between any of these countries. But the situation is definitely worrisome, and the fact that things have escalated so quickly is a stark reminder that it’s North Korea, and not Russia or ISIS, that might actually pose the gravest and most immediate threat to American national security.”
- Watch Sean Spicer illustrate the dangers of coming to believe your own nonsense – ” ‘This is government,’ he said, gesturing to the big stack of paper that represents ACA. ‘This is not,’ he said, gesturing to the shorter AHCA draft. Fewer pages = more freedom, apparently.”
- The Most Stunning Science Images Of The Year – Take a break from your rage and check out this lovely art.
- GOP Rep. Jason Chaffetz to the Poor: Health Care or an iPhone; Can’t Have Both! – “For most low-income folks, smartphones are lifelines to the information highway. I know this is difficult for the horrible Chaffetz to comprehend, but most families among the nation’s poor, who were identified in a PEW Research Center study as those whose household income is less than $30,000 a year, don’t have access to high-speed broadband at home. This increases the digital divide between the haves and the have-nots, not that horrible Chaffetz gives a shit. So smartphones serve as lifelines to help with homework, look up job information or, I don’t know, fucking survive.”
- Followup: “Here’s How Many iPhones You’ll Need to Not Buy in Order to Afford Health Care“
- Digging Deep Into the Only Conspiracy Alex Jones Doesn’t Like – “In the case of Hicks’ death, none of those rumours are more prolific, and bizarre, than the notion that Hicks faked his death to become conspiracy monger Alex Jones.”
- How Do You Raise A Feminist Daughter? Chimamanda Adichie Has 15 Suggestions – “For Adichie — a best-selling author who has also made a name for herself as a leading feminist voice — the question was a bit daunting, but she wrote a long letter back to her friend. Now, that letter has been published as a book. It’s called Dear Ijeawele, or A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions, and it talks about everything from how to choose toys to teaching self-reliance to challenging traditional gender roles.”
- Analysis: GOP plan to cost Obamacare enrollees $1,542 more a year – “Republicans will argue that by cutting back insurance standards, their bill would lower premiums — because people can choose to buy less coverage than the ACA currently requires. But premiums are only one expense that enrollees have to worry about. First, the level of tax credits affects how much enrollees would actually pay for those premiums, out of pocket.”
- The Trump White House is totally changing its tune on wiretapping and hoping you don’t notice – “In short: The White House is now pushing for investigations in search of the very evidence that Trump claimed he already possessed. This isn’t about a separation of powers — as Spicer claimed Tuesday — or anything else. It’s about Trump tweeting first and thinking second. And a White House scrambling to make lemonade — or at least lemon water — from lemons.”
You must log in to post a comment.