Quickies: Star Trek Conventions, Tote Bags and the Environment, and Birth Control Pricing Loopholes
- Welcome to the Weird and Wonderful World of a 1970s Star Trek Convention – I wish there were more photos, but this is still a pretty neat collection!
- Are Tote Bags Really Good for the Environment? – “Whether they’re delicately handled designer goods or a promotional product dirtied by daily wear, few totes are made to last long enough to obtain the number of uses required to reach resource-expenditure parity with the plastic bags they were meant to supplant. Though they promise timelessness and sustainability, they develop holes, straps come undone, seams disintegrate. They become fouled with stains and grime.”
- The Difficulty Of Enforcing Laws Against Driving While High – “That’s why adapting drunk driving laws to marijuana makes for bad policy, says Mark Kleiman, a professor of public policy at New York University. ‘You can be positive for THC a week after the last time you used cannabis,’ he says. ‘Not subjectively impaired at all, not impaired at all by any objective measure, but still positive.’ “
- How Elizabeth Holmes’s House of Cards Came Tumbling Down – “In a searing investigation into the once lauded biotech start-up Theranos, Nick Bilton discovers that its precocious founder defied medical experts—even her own chief scientist—about the veracity of its now discredited blood-testing technology. She built a corporation based on secrecy in the hope that she could still pull it off. Then, it all fell apart.”
- Obamacare was supposed to make all birth control free. As a doctor, I see it’s not happening. – “I currently work primarily with low-income patients — now at a clinic in Indianapolis, and previously at one in California. I am reminded every day how hard it is for my patients to obtain birth control. Too often, I have patients return or call my office telling me that their insurance didn’t cover the birth control I prescribed, that there was a copay they could not afford or some roadblock has appeared that effectively denied them the method of contraception we had discussed.”
- Ivanka Trump’s advice for working women: change yourselves, not the world – “On her site, you won’t find hot takes or angry critiques, no rants against patriarchy or commiserations over working motherhood. Everything is how-to and can-do. Each post is angled to be constructive, even if the topic seems miserable. According to IvankaTrump.com, you can make the most of those boring jobs and unpaid internships! Daunted at having to return to work after having a baby? There’s a list of tips for that too, including: Have the sitter text you pics during the day or start planning for your next vacation.”
- Why Northerners Think All Southerners Have One Accent – “The tiny island of Ocracoke, off the coast of North Carolina, is unimpeachably Southern. The most remote of the Outer Banks islands, founded by Sir Walter Raleigh and the point of capture for Blackbeard the pirate, it’s a favorite vacation destination throughout the South—sort of the Nantucket for those below the Mason Dixon line. And yet if you were to speak to an Ocracokian, you wouldn’t necessarily know it by their accent.”