Quickies: Trolling Racists, Betting on Studies, and MST3k
- Bring on the outrage: Go ahead and hate on “coddled” college kids — just admit that anti-p.c. backlash is fueled by outrage, too – “No one at Yale was having their ‘right’ to wear blackface taken away. They were having their ‘right’ to wear blackface and not be made to feel uncomfortable about it by being scolded by members of the community taken away. Just as, in past years when blackface was culturally normal, black people were having their ‘right’ to not be made to feel uncomfortable by being constantly mocked and degraded taken away.”
- How I Infiltrated a White Pride Facebook Group and Turned It into ‘LGBT Southerners for Michelle Obama’ – From mrmisconception.
- We Are All This Woman Refusing to Put Down Her Book at a Trump Rally – “This hero of a woman spent much of the rally chatting with the companion next to her, checking her phone, and getting engrossed in a paperback. The latter activity led to a confrontation with a true Trump supporter, who looks exactly like someone who could be swindled into giving his money and vote to Donald Trump.”
- ‘Mystery Science Theater 3000’ Creator Raises $500K Toward New Season – This show is a national treasure.
- How To Tell Good Studies From Bad? Bet On Them – “They found that compared to simply asking experts to predict the likelihood that studies will be reproduced, asking them to bet money on the outcomes improved the accuracy of the guesses.”
- Aziz Ansari’s fight against ‘hacky ethnic jokes’ fires his new Netflix show ‘Master of None’ – Adding this to my queue now.
- Will Drinking Green Tea Boost Your Metabolism? Not So Fast – “There’s a long tradition in East Asia of drinking green tea for health. But as scientists have tried to test the belief that green tea will help you keep off the pounds, they’ve largely come up short.”