Quickies: Diversity, Studying Fear, and the SXSW Harassment Fiasco
- Diversity is for white people: The big lie behind a well-intended word – “The term diversity has become so watered down that it can be anything from code for black people to a profit imperative. Consider the cringe-worthy experience I had sitting in on a corporate diversity training, where initiates learned that diversity could mean our preferences for working at daytime or at night, or our favorite animal. As a Deloitte study showed, many Millennials take it to simply mean one’s unique culture and perspective.” From Courtney.
- The Scientist Whose Lab is a Haunted House – “Kerr has long been interested in studying the science and culture of fear, and parlayed that into becoming the sociologist-in-residence at Scarehouse, where she can observe and collect data on visitors who undergo the attraction’s frights.”
- Vox Media and The Verge will not attend SXSW unless it takes harassment seriously – “In a pattern that is becoming too familiar, efforts to curb harassment online have frequently been met with even more harassment” From Jamie.
- Fox News Invites ‘Panel of Fathers’ to Discuss the Merits of Leggings – They brought out women to comment on their clothes. Then they made remarks about their bodies. I mean, wow, I have no more words to describe this.
- This Man Failed A Paternity Test Due To His Vanished Twin’s DNA – “DNA researchers report a father failed a paternity test because the genes in his saliva differ from his sperm’s. One in eight people might possess such ‘chimeric’ genes caused by a twin lost in the womb.”
Jeez. There are STILL idiots who try to ostrich away violence and threats with empty babble about ‘big tents’ and on-the-other-handery.
SXSW’s cringing in the face of threats was actually couched in these terms (quote pulled from Butterflies and Wheels):
“SXSW feels that both the organization and its staff have been under siege from all sides and from all parties since they announced the panels,”
Show us the numbers assholes.
You must log in to post a comment.