Quickies: Coffee Science, MacArthur Genius Grant Women, and the Abortion Debate
- We Basically Sell Poison: 6 Realities Of ‘Supplement’ Stores – “As you wandered by the nutrition supplement store on your way to the combination Pizza Hut/Taco Bell, you probably wondered who the hell shops there and what they’re even buying. Surely, protein powder isn’t that in demand? You’re right: It’s not. As a guy who used to work at one of those stores, I can assure you there is way more to these ‘health’ products than bulk-up shakes and that most of the products are actually terrible for you.” From cerberus40.
- The Tennessee Pre-K Debate: Spinach Vs. Easter Grass – Is mediocre preschool better than no preschool? New studies say, maybe not.
- Please Be Inspired by the Badass Women of the 2015 MacArthur Genius Grant – “This year’s women recipients of the MacArthur Genius grant, which awards annual $625,000 fellowships to innovative people doing ill shit for the world, include a neuroscientist, a tap dancer, a historian, an off-Broadway set designer, a photographer and a poet. LET’S GET INSPIRED.”
- Julie Schumacher Becomes First Woman To Win Thurber Prize For American Humor – I hadn’t heard of any of these books (the runners up look great too), so I am immediately adding them to my list. From Amy.
- Cecile Richards to House Oversight Committee: You’re Not ‘Trying to Get to the Truth’ – “The majority of the committee was interested in ‘investigating’ Planned Parenthood’s federal funding, and also in letting the public know they think abortion is bad and wrong, and that they find Richards morally disgusting.” What a shit circus.
- Shut Up and Sip – Is coffee good for you? Does it matter? Research about coffee is just fine, but living your life based on advice from pop science articles is unnecessary if you just want to enjoy what you drink.
- Florida Rep. Asks Planned Parenthood President if Abortion Survivors (?) Should Receive “Nourishment” – This was an actual question. Fortunately, Cecile Richards shut it down.