- Anita Sarkeesian Cancels Speech Following Terror Threats – From Ms. Sarkeesian’s Twitter, “Forced to cancel my talk at USU after receiving death threats because police wouldn’t take steps to prevent concealed firearms at the event.”
- What Made Mexico’s Most Mysterious Beach? – There’s an islet off the Pacific coast of Mexico with a pristine beach drilled into its central core like the hole of a donut. This hidden Eden continues to baffle geologists with its oculus of volcanic stone.
- GOP Lawmaker: Dem Congresswoman Will Lose Because She’s ‘Ugly As Sin’ – ” ‘Let’s be honest. Does anyone not believe that Congressman Annie Kuster is as ugly as sin? And I hope I haven’t offended sin,’ state Rep. Steve Vaillancourt (R) wrote Friday on New Hampshire politics blog NH Insider.” From Arturo.
- What’s In A Name? It Could Matter If You’re Writing To Your Lawmaker – ” ‘Republicans who support voter identification are different than those Republicans who did not support voter identification,’ Grose says. ‘Among those Republicans who did support voter ID laws, the Latino constituent was very unlikely to receive a response from their elected official. The difference was almost 40 percentage points, which is just one of the largest gaps I have ever seen.’ “
- Tales of the Trash – “A neighborhood garbageman explains modern Egypt.” A very interesting piece from The New Yorker.
- Christian right’s vile PR sham: Why their bizarre films are backfiring on them – “You can’t judge Christian films like other movies. Any casual examination shows them to be conventionally terrible without exception. But they are not meant to be good, but rather they are designed to deliver pointed messages, spurring audiences to promote and support established political and religious powers. They are vehicles that carry naked threats for people who believe differently and are threatening reminders to keep believers in line. For those opposed to reactionary religion and coercion, it’s important to examine these films to understand the stories this slice of America is telling itself and foisting on the rest of us.”
The news is rather bad today, so take a video break if you can, and watch this nostalgic VHS recording of TV in the early 90’s.
Note: The link to the “stalker” article in an earlier version of this post was deleted because the subject of the post asked for its removal.