- On working with dark energy – “I was drawn to my project because I think it is outrageous – we are using a novel instrument technique to measure dark energy, a truly mysterious piece of cosmology. By the end of this I want you to have a grasp of what dark energy is – but more importantly, I want you to have some idea how we do this wacky thing that is science.”
- Cave paintings change ideas about the origin of art – “The artworks are in a rural area on the Indonesian Island of Sulawesi. Until now, paintings this old had been confirmed in caves only in Western Europe.”
- When will we stop calling successful women “abrasive?” – “…successful women make people feel uncomfortable. They are seen as somehow unfeminine or unnatural and in need of being brought down a peg or two. And the best way to wrangle them back into manageability is to remind them of the fact that, regardless of their achievements, they will be judged first and foremost as women, and found wanting.”
- Homeopathic battleship – “According to homeopathic theory : the more you dilute something, the more potent it becomes. That should make this the most intense game of Battleship ever created. Are you open-minded enough to give it a go?”
- Cute Animal Friday! Simon the cat on a walk. This baby pangolin proves you don’t need to be fluffy to be cute.
Featured image by David Grimes.