Quickies: Genetic tests, tattoos vs. babies, Neanderthal sex, and women in tech
- On what all those genetic tests actually mean – I swear I’m not just including this for the glowing bunny gif.
- Why you should never ever get a tattoo (but having a baby is fine) – And the similarities between the two. From Miserlyoldman.
- Why does it matter if Homo sapiens and sex with Neanderthals? – From Criticaldragon1177.
- The gender balance in tech, in New York and beyond – From Arturo.
- Cute Animal Friday! From nowoo, some amazingly talented rats. Also, baby penguins!
The Neanderthal thing is interesting, though I must say, even if we never interbred with Neanderthals, that doesn’t mean we deliberately wiped them out; we could’ve simply been better predators than they were. Conversely, interbreeding with Neanderthals doesn’t mean a lack of genocidal tendencies, just looking at recent history.
The Amazing Rat Tricks made my DAY! Oh my gosh. I miss my pet rats so much! (I had them years ago.) Rats are so amazing. There is a second video linked at the first. I am going to watch them both again. :P
They are cuties, indeed! Each one we’ve had has displayed a unique personality. Their only real downside is their short lifespans. :(
Re genetic testing: if you know you have a harmful gene and fail to disclose to your insurer, you are going to be truly screwed when you come to make a claim. Likewise if you do disclose, you may be refused insurance.
Also, please, please, at least go through your GP or a genetic counselor if you do have it done, otherwise you will scare yourself unnecessarily. Particularly if you test the whole genome, everybody has at least one harmful gene.
“You know,”, “it’s at times like this, 15 years later, when I’m looking at my tattoo that I really wish I’d listened to what my mother told me when I was young.”
“Why, what did she tell you?”
“I don’t know, I didn’t listen.”
apologies, Douglas Adams
You must log in to post a comment.