Happy President’s Day to my fellow Americans!
- Snake Bite Kills Snake Salvation Pastor – “He is now in heaven, where he can frolic across rolling hills playing with all of the snakes in God’s kingdom.” From Sarah.
- It’s Over: Gay Marriage Can’t Lose in the Courts – “Last night, only days after hearing oral arguments in the case, a Virginia federal judge struck down the state ban on same-sex marriage, writing unequivocally that ‘[t]radition is revered in the Commonwealth, and often rightly so. However, tradition alone cannot justify denying same-sex couples the right to marry any more than it could justify Virginia’s ban on interracial marriage.’ “
- An Open Letter to Eve Ensler – Lauren Chief Elk writes to Ensler about some racist statements she made regarding Indigenous women in Canada. From Jon B.
- Good Samaritan Backfire or How I Ended Up in Solitary After Calling 911 for Help – This story is another really scary example of the kinds of violence that the police can get away with. Trigger warning for a vivid description of being locked up and abused.
- ‘One in, one out’ for female directors at top UK companies – “Study raises question of tokenism as FTSE 350 firms likely to appoint female director only as successor to another woman.” From Ray.
- Medication: The smart-pill oversell – “Evidence is mounting that medication for ADHD doesn’t make a lasting difference to schoolwork or achievement.”
- 1 In 4 Americans Thinks The Sun Goes Around The Earth, Survey Says – I wonder if these people weren’t just ticking off random checkboxes on the survey? Because really. Come on. From miserlyoldman.
BONUS: Patrick Stewart performs a somber monologue as China’s dying moon rover. (From Andy.) This is magnificent and you need to watch it.