On October 14, 1888, the world’s earliest-surviving motion-picture was filmed by Louis Le Prince, called Roundhay Garden Scene. I don’t know the plot, but you can watch it here.
- Free Floating Feel: How Gravity Simulates Zero-G – Did you see this movie yet? (I haven’t had the time to catch it yet.)
- Christian delusions are driving the GOP insane – Not surprised.
- Rather than savage cuts, Switzerland considers “Star Trek” economics – Meanwhile, in other parts of the world…
- Take Your Licks – An essay by one of my favorite comedians, Amy Poehler.
- Inside the Conservative Bubble, It Looks Like Ted Cruz Is Winning Big – The cognitive dissonance would be fascinating if it wasn’t so infuriating.
- Fox News and talk radio brainwashed my dad – I wish I couldn’t relate to this.
BONUS: The news is so depressing lately, but this SNL take on the shutdown made me laugh. Also, Alice Munro won the 2013 Nobel Prize for Literature, so in honor of that, here is an essay she did for the New Yorker.