On Friday, I announced the formation of our virtual team to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society via the Foundation Beyond Belief’s Light the Night walks.
Since then, Greta and PZ have been talking some smack, clearly out of fear that we will raise more money than the Freethought Blogs team. I know, I know, they are ahead of us at the moment, but let’s not underestimate the Underdog Effect—or how willing we are to do whatever it takes to raise as much money as possible for blood cancer research and treatment.
In Friday’s post, I listed some incentives for donating, stunts and rewards for your help in reaching various fundraising targets. You’ve already helped us raise almost $1,000, which means I am about to get started on the first reward, creating superhero likenesses of and for 5 kids with cancer (If you know any kids who would love this, please email me!). Thanks so much for helping us get so far so quickly!
But now, we need to up the ante. We can’t let the #FTBullies win! So we’ve added a few more incentives to the list, as well as some ways you can help even if you can’t afford to donate:
- Skepchick team member Sarah Moglia is offering incentives on her personal fundraising page: If you donate $15, she will hand write a card and mail it to you; for $25, she will Skype or Google Hangout with you and you can pick her brain and ask her questions; for $75, she will write a blog post on the topic of your choice.
- UPDATE: Rebecca has also added incentives to her personal fundraising page: If you donate $20 through her page, she will Tweet you a very nice compliment (from @rebeccawatson); for $25, she will Tweet you a very nice insult; for $50, she will make a Vine in which she says your name and thank you, and also a cat will be there looking adorable; $100, she will make a YouTube video thanking you and also maybe talking about how smart and good looking you are.
- You can join our virtual team (scroll down on our team page and click JOIN). You don’t have to be in Dallas or do the walk to help with fundraising and to show your support by joining. When we reach 300 team members, Courtney Caldwell and Elyse Anders will wear giant light-up cowboy hats while doing the Dallas Light the Night walk. Plus . . .
- The non-Skepchick Network team member who raises the most money for the Skepchick Team through their personal fundraising page will receive a free Surly!
- If we raise $3,500, new Skepchick Olivia will shave her head.
- If we raise $10,000, Rebecca will dye her hair again and you choose the color. (I suggest neon green.)
These are in addition to the incentives we offered on Friday:
- For every $1,000 we raise, I will create superhero likenesses of and for 5 kids with cancer using Hero Machine (like the ones I did for SkepchickCon volunteers). If you’d like to nominate someone to receive one, send me an email (skepchickevents [at] gmail.com).
- When we reach $2,500, Anne Sauer from Mad Art Lab will design a custom nonalcoholic warm beverage and share the recipe with all of us!
- If we raise $5,000, Brian G from Mad Art Lab will draw a mash-up masterpiece that has to integrate ALL of your suggestions, no matter how unrelated. (We’ll do a post where you can suggest in the comments.) The original will then be auctioned off, with all proceeds going to LLS.
- At $7,500, I will dress up as a stormtrooper and do my laundry at a public laundromat, with pics to prove it.
- At $10,001, Elyse will spend an entire day out in public, running errands, while wearing a shirt with HERO on it as well as all her race medals (6) around her neck, with pics to prove it.
And if all else fails, I did in fact kidnap the FtB mascot (Freeze Peach). It’s in my freezer. And it looks delicious.