On July 3, 1844, the last pair of Great Auks were killed and the bird species is now presumed to be extinct. The birds had been dying off, but then a small colony was discovered. Unfortunately, museums took this opportunity to kill off the colony so that they could mount specimens for display. Seriously, some jerk killed off the last pair of birds and stomped on the egg they were incubating. What the, I don’t even know!
- In the Line of Wildfire – Inside the life of a Hotshot Firefighter.
- Inside the epic, all-night, Goldman Sachs scavenger hunt – This is so epic. I did something similar in college except it was for a math contest.
- Afghanistan in the 1950s and 60s – An amazing photospread that you need to see. (I like numbers 1 and 11.)
- The Expendables: How the Temps Who Power Corporate Giants Are Getting Crushed – Is it still possible to get a job without temping first?
- Will Ginsburg’s Ledbetter Play Work Twice? – RBG is such a badass. <<<333
- Why Healthy Eaters Fall for Fries – Interestingly, having a healthy choice on a menu makes people more likely to pick unhealthy foods.
- In Houston, America’s Diverse Future Has Already Arrived – What say you, Texans?
- Think Your Office Is Soulless? Check Out This Amazon Fulfillment Center – Wow. And yet, I can’t stop shopping on Amazon.
- Doubting “Darwin’s Doubt” – A book review. Spoiler alert: it involves Intelligent Design. (Is this the same “Designer” that killed off the Great Auks?)
BONUS: Gifs of babies experiencing things for the first time! Awww! (From Heina). Also, for fans of Gaiman, SANDMAN IS COMING BACK.