Skepchick Quickies 7.17
On July 17, 1955, Disneyland opened in California. I’m not such a huge Disney fan (even though I find Walt Disney fascinating), but it’s noteworthy nonetheless.
- Who Would You Shoot? – A study about racial bias and fast decisions (the results are as expected, but read it anyway).
- McDonalds’ suggested budget for employees shows just how impossible it is to get by on minimum wage – The title says it all. From 9bar.
- Finally: Actual physical evidence that T-rex was a predator – It seems like T-rex theory changes all the time! From CriticalDragon1177.
- Jenny McCarthy’s Dangerous Views – For those of us who don’t already know what an imbecile she is.
- Here’s The Story Of The Twitter Hero Who Single-Handedly Killed Zimmerman Juror B37?s Book Deal – From Heina.
- The Truth About Bagged Lettuce – Science, quit making my life harder.
- Marriage, Ukrainian-style: Hopeful bachelors from all over the world head to Odessa in search of a wife – Bookmark this for a long coffee break. From Rebecca.
- Malala’s Forgotten Sisters – “Girls as young as 5 are still being sold into marriage in Pakistan. And no one will stop it.”
- Grieving without belief in God or an afterlife – I found it so much harder to get over grief when I stopped believing in Heaven. From Rebecca.
- Buying a house: Why the numbers 4, 13 and 8 matter – More interesting than you think! With information about how some cultures view certain numbers. From Zoltan.
- Kids Watch TV As Parents Do, Not As They Say – I don’t know about you all, but my kids are doomed, thanks to my love of trashy TV. Damnit!
That T-Rex link just says something about an unhealthy backend… Maybe they ate too much red meat?
The Ukraine marriage piece reminded me a lot of the conversation on the last episode of Godless Bitches about how some people don’t seem to realize that when it comes to dating, the type of person you attract directly corresponds to the type of bait you use. Of course if you’re going to make money part of your pitch you’re going to attract people who will want your money! You can’t really blame them for that – and you certainly can’t attribute it to vagina-having.
It reminds me of the Despair, Inc. poster: “Dysfunction — The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.”
But please, these men are such misogynists. It oozes off of them. As hateful as they are to American women, I’m surprised they don’t jump to the same conclusions about Ukrainian women, since they seem to behave in the same way that they hate about American women. Sexism, it’s never logical.
Hey Mary, thanks so much for including among your Quickies Rebecca’s superb post on how to grieve without belief in God or an afterlife at freethinkingjew.com. I’m very grateful to Rebecca for writing it and to you for publicizing it. Keep up the good work! :)
You must log in to post a comment.