On June 12, 1939, filming began for the movie Dr. Cyclops, which is notable for being the first horror movie filmed in Technicolor. (The director also directed King Kong.) Speaking of the “male gaze,” check out that movie poster, ack!
- Why Do So Many Father-Daughter Movies = Feisty Kid + Bumbling Dad? – Do these movie tropes bother you? (The “bumbling dad” one has almost ruined my childhood love of the Berenstain Bears books.)
- Silicon Valley’s Awful Race and Gender Problem in 3 Mind-Blowing Charts – From Donny.
- 100,000 years in the future is a moot point – A response to the “what humans will look like in the future” article.
- Six Fairy Tales for the Modern Woman – This made me smile. From nowoo.
- A Sperm Bank for Better Bees – One way to possibly prevent colony collapse.
- Ingraham: Emergency contraception is ‘a good deal for pedophiles’ and child rapists – What is this, I don’t even. From Moniqa.
- What Happens to Women Who Are Denied Abortions? – A very interesting read.
- It’s the Best of Times to Scare Yourself to Death – Seriously, this is why I always try to include a few good links in my posts, even though media is dominated by the nasty stuff.
- A Racial History of Drowning.