Skepchick Quickies 2.20
On February 20, 1872, the Metropolitan Museum of Art opened in New York City. (I’ve visited it before, but my favorite museum is the MOMA.)
- Family Members in Need: Why Some Middle Class Blacks Can’t Get Ahead.
- University of Colorado Advises Women to Vomit or Urinate to Stop Rapists – From Heina.
- Men and Women Use Uptalk Differently: A Study of Jeopardy!
- The 15th-Century Equivalent of Your Cat Walking on Your Keyboard – Aww! From 9bar.
- Hilary Mantel v Kate: a story of lazy journalism and raging hypocrisy – A completely misunderstood criticism of British media and society. You have to read this.
- Taoiseach’s voice breaks as he delivers apology to Magdalene women – From Jonathan.
- The Recline and Fall of Western Civilization – The morality of reclining your seat in an airplane.
- Prince’s charity lobbied government to water down homeopathy criticism – That would be Prince Charles, not the singer. From Zoltan.
- BONUS LINK. (My favorite entree would be the “Captain Beefheart,” but they’re all pretty fantastic.)
as much as I love a good Guy Fieri takedown, most of those jokes were stolen verbatim or awkwardly reworded without attribution from a few really funny twitter users and, I think, a piece on the Awl. There’s been a bit of a thing about it on twitter, but I dunno if it’ll outpace the viral spread of the website.
It also seems that the programmer who set up that site has set up a sockpuppet account just to harrass one of the twitterers (@a_girl_irl) with transphobic slurs, though it may just be some other asshole.
Queue up a new rape defense: “She didn’t puke on me, your honour, so she must have wanted it.”
I wonder if that would even work. Aren’t most rapes the kind where the victim knows the rapist and is drunk/drugged/unconscious? Given that those kinds of rapists don’t care if their victims are so out of it that they’re falling over, why would a bit of vomit bother them?
I like how they mixed in all the gun stuff, especially in the comments. What is the victim supposed to do with a gun? She doesn’t even know he’s a rapist until she wakes up the next morning.
That guy whose cat made ink marks on his book with his paws must have been really upset.
“Prince’s charity lobbied government to water down homeopathy criticism” Its seems Homeopathy has become big problem in the UK. Looks like, like creationists, it proponents want to shield their pseudoscience from any real scrutiny. Speaks volumes.
Watering down homeopathy criticism? But according to homeopaths, wouldn’t that just make the criticism stronger?
You must log in to post a comment.