Skepchick Quickies 8.1
Today is August 1st, and on this date (in 2001), Justice Roy S. Moore (Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court) had a monument of the Ten Commandments installed in the Alabama Judicial Building. As if that wasn’t bad enough, he carried this out at night without the knowledge of the other justices. I thought the Ninth Commandment forbade lying, but I guess subterfuge in the name of Jesus is just fine. Fortunately, the United States District court disagreed and both the statue and Justice Moore were removed from court. Thou shalt not violate the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment (unless the Supreme Court says so).
- How Speedo Created A Record-Breaking Swimsuit – The science behind the thousands of hours spent researching a faster swimsuit (and even the goggles and swim cap)
- On the Internet, Porn Has Seasons, Too – The most active seasons are late summer and winter. The more you know!
- My Take: This is where God was in Aurora – The article itself is typical after-the-fact rationalizing bullshit, so skim through it if you must, but make sure you check out Comment #1 by Colin! From Donna.
- Why Yes, Those Claw Machines Are Rigged, Says Arcade Operator – Claw machines have variable strength settings based on a mandated payout percentage. In other words, they’re cruel slot machines for kids.
- Targeting Crime – Did you know that Target has one of the top forensics labs in the US? In fact, they allow authorities to use it 30% of the time to solve violent felonies.
- Gender, Objectification, and the New Catwoman – Female superheroes can be whatever they want, as long as they pose as if they have no spine.
- Marathon Commuters Still Find Time for TV
- Speaking Out Against Hate – Inspired by Surly Amy’s campaign. Lend your voice and speak out against hate in our community and beyond. From Amy.
Do you mean to tell me that the three-eyed aliens from Toy Story have an inconsistent and unfair god?
Wouldn’t be the first one, but still.
I love how that article on God in Aurora totally got hijacked. That first comment is a brutal take down and then there are just pages of people agreeing with it.
Lucky for us in Alabama, Roy Moore will almost certainly be re-elected this fall. *sigh*
Can I nominate Colin on CNN.com for a COTW?
Agreed. I went several pages into the comments and he was brilliant in every post he made.
You must log in to post a comment.