Skepchick Quickies 4.27
- That game about dating disabled girls is excellent – And it was brewed up on 4chan?! Even after reading the review, I'm in disbelief.
- Ghana pioneers new child vaccines – "Ghana has become the first country in Africa to start protecting children against two of the continent's deadliest infant diseases with simultaneous vaccinations." From cerberus40.
- Swiss woman dies after attempting to live on sunlight – "Documentary film 'In the Beginning, There Was Light' gave her the idea."
- Egypt's women urge MPs not to pass early marriage, sex-after-death laws – "One that would legalize the marriage of girls starting from the age of 14 and the other that permits a husband to have sex with his dead wife within the six hours following her death." From Roger. Updates at Christian Science Monitor and Jezebel, from invisible.
- Cute Animal Friday! Two days of cuteness, can you handle it? Puppy loves kitty, kitty is indifferent. From Kaboobie, wallaby twins. And a tiny smiling sloth to round things out.
But… 4chan is evil! It's like satan's armpit or something! How? What is this madness?!
This seems to be a common misconception, probably because when people say “4chan” they almost always mean “/b/”. There’s, like thirty other boards there, most of them are pretty tame.
Even /b/ isn’t that bad, it’s mostly just played out memes swimming in a sea of pornography. I’ll admit that a lot of indefensible stuff goes on there, but the board as a whole is more amoral than outright evil.
This, so much. There are boards on 4chan that are full of perfectly decent people, and the visual novel probably came from them. I'm honestly more surprised that 4chan managed to accomplish something more than the quality of the novel. Herding cats and all that, but once those cats are herded you can have a pretty diverse base of people to work with.
But yeah, not "satan's armpit". Some people do go to /b/ because they think it's a place where you have a free reign to be assholes, but the most 'evil' they get is rampant misogyny and transphobia(just like in r/atheism and such). Anything worse than that is usually met with a good bit of opposition and is usually just one idiot thinking that anonymity gives them the right to say anything.
The rest of the boards range from boring to good, really. I frequented /vp/(pokemon) and /mlp/ until the former went to shit due to lack of content and the latter was inundated with misogynists and transphobes, but there's still other good boards for specific interests that have good userbases. Hell, /d/('alternative' porn) in particular is a remarkably feminist and trans-positive place.
So yeah, not a hive of villainy and scum. Calling it that really just strokes the egos of the 14 year old misanthropes that go there in hopes of finding a dark and edgy seekrit club.
It seems that jezebel and CSM have updates on the story about the sex with dead wives articles. They say it is incorrect.
Thank you for sharing those, I've added them to the original post.
Yeah, the teen marriage one I could see easily. But necrophilia? That's not a "traditional" value no matter how you look at it.
Oh, this guy? How could anyone buy into this?
I second the overdetermination of 4chan as the worst of the internet. While /b/ is mostly made up of dumb 14-year-olds, many of the other boards have good content and generally respectful communities.
Heh, that reminds me. I used to read Orac's blog years ago. He always had a good takedown for any kind of pseudoscientific nonsense, albeit a verbose one. However, there's just too many quacks in the world. I don't know how he keeps his cool sometimes.
wow, I'm at the very beginning of the game and it already has me in tears. I am an autistic person so I have had many of the same feelings as the main character.
i believe /r9k/ is the worst of the lot at the moment
/b/ at least is mostly stupid and even borderline funny
/r9k/ on the other hand is just depressing and vile
/pol/ is horrible too, but theres a lot of trolling going on, so its hard to tell how much is genuinely awful
uhh, failed at nesting
was meant as reply to alt3 and grimalkin
You must log in to post a comment.