5 Reasons to Go to Dragon*Con
I am supposed to be working right now but I am a REBEL! Instead, I am going to tell what I think are the top 5 reasons to go to Dragon*Con this weekend. Don’t like that? Tell it to my newly forming robot army.
It may not look too tough now, but I saw it making plans with the bathroom scale and the lamp in the living room. You have been warned.
Now, the top 5 reasons to go to D*C…
5. Skeptics and psychics packed together in one room! That’s right! You can share breathing space with your favorite actual paranormal researchers such as Ben Radford and Joe Nickell or as suggested here you can attend this truly terrifying display of what network television has done to our collective brains. No, it’s not a zombie show, it’s Psychic Kids, with Chris Fleming! When and Where: Sunday, 10:00 am Sheraton Augusta Room
4. The Skepchicks are moderating some sweet panels! I am moderating a panel called When Art Meets Science and Skepticism. When and Where: Friday at 7pm in the Skeptrack at the Hilton with special guests; George Hrab, Sara Mayhew, Tom Merritt, Scott Sigler, Michael Stackpole, Melissa Kaercher. I will be doing a fun art give-away sponsored by Mad Art Lab and I will have Surly prizes for audience and panel participation!
Maria is moderating a panel called How to be a REALL LIFE SUPERHERO with guests, Derek Bartholomaus, Rebecca Watson, Tim Farley, and more TBA. When and where: In the Skeptrack at the Hilton Monday at 2:30pm
Rebecca’s Nerd Quiz! Special guests include: Ken Plume, Bill Corbett, James Urbaniak, and more TBA. When and where: Friday night, 8:30pm in the Crystal Ballroom
3. Art and science abounds! The awesome runneth over! Everyone, even if you are sick of our adorable faces there are a zillion other cool things happening this year for example, Super-cool artist Len Peralta has a Geek A Week Reunion panel, Friday 9/2 at 1 PM in the Hyatt Regency VI-VII. It will be moderated by Kenneth Plume. Panelists include Jonathan Coulton, Phil Plait, Paul and Storm, Veronica Belmont and more.
And that’s just ONE event example. The guest list this year is packed full of WIN. Go here to get a pocket program or go to the main Dragon•Con website to see what other art and science and skeptic events might tickle your fancy.
2. FREE VACCINES! That’s right we are at it again! When and where: Sept 3-4, 2011, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Atlanta Marriott Room M 109, On the Marquis Level. The Atlanta Skeptics, in coordination with the Cobb & Douglas Public Health District and the Hug Me, I’m Vaccinated campaign, will be providing free pertussis boosters, plus flu shots and STD testing! Usually we just have the TDaP boosters but this time you can get your flu shot for free! Save money and save the world in one stop. Rad.
1. FUN! FUN! FUN! And people dressed in crazy costumes! You guys, seriously if you have never been and you can get there go. And if you have been and you can get there go. It’s an uber-awesome merging of art and geek culture that you have to experience at least once in your life. If you want me I will be at the Skepchick/Surly fan table at the Hilton all weekend. Please stop by and say hi!
For more info about the festivities and the tons of other things happening at Dragon*Con this weekend, go here. See you soon!
Awww. I wanna go. Instead I need to perform SCIENCE! and educate future game designers. (which is honestly also pretty cool).
You are excused, this time. For science!
To bad Im on the wrong continent… :(
One of these days I’ll get around to going to all those, seemingly, amazing events, conventions and meetings. But I guess by then it will be creepy to see the middle aged man running around trying to take it all in at once… ;)
OOOH – someday, someday, someday! But not this year, alas. The rest of my life keeps intervening.
I am out of vacation time, so don’t get to go (TAM and SkepchickCon and illness used it up). Next year, though, Amy. I promise.
You must log in to post a comment.