A few weeks ago I posted another AI inspired by a New Yorker article on Scientology. That article mentioned the fact that the FBI was taking a look at the church to potentially examine allegations of human trafficking and labor violations.
And guess what?
This week, 20 year old newly-ex-scientologist, Daniel Montalvo has indeed filed similar charges.
The St. Peterburg Times has a full rundown of the story. The allegations by Montalvo filed in Los Angeles Court include the following:
• Was permitted to attend school about one day a week because working for Sea Org took priority.
• Spent his childhood working at least 40 hours a week, and often more than 100 hours a week for pay that ranged from $35 to $50 a week.
• Had no work permits required of minors.
• Was made to work back-to-back 12-hour days in the fall of 2007, when the church was pushing its staff to produce and sell a new book release.
• From 2008 to 2010, was punished along with other workers for lack of production. He was made to run laps wearing a jacket and tie, clean grease traps and do push ups.
• Worked past midnight for two months in 2009 after rising at 6 a.m. each day, and was made to do push ups and dig ditches for lack of production.
• Suffered an accident at age 16 while cleaning a “notching” machine at the church’s printing unit, Bridge Publications. Half of his right index finger was cut off and no ambulance was called, the lawsuit asserts. It says Montalvo was taken to the hospital but told by the Sea Org to tell doctors he was a volunteer. He was not to mention Scientology.
Until this case goes to court we won’t be able to know if these allegations are accurate but the story really made me think about all the crappy jobs I have had to endure over the years and I couldn’t help but compare them to the idea of working for Scientology. And from dog washer to cigarette girl to cocktail waitress, I can happily say, that none of my jobs were as crappy as Montalvo’s appear to have been.
What about you? What is the worst job you have ever held? Do these allegations seem likely or do you think this kid just trying to scam a timely and fast buck off of an innocent church?
The Afternoon Inquisition (or AI) is a question posed to you, the Skepchick community. Look for it to appear Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays at 3pm ET.