This week’s Afternoon Inquisition was inspiried by Tim Farley at What’s the Harm.Â Tim writes at the Skeptools blog and last week, he wrote this post called the Long Tail of Skeptical Websites.Â In it, he discusses the small explosion of skeptical blogs and websites that we’ve seen in recent months and questions whether a general purpose skeptical blog is as effective as a focus on a particular skeptical issue:
Right now, we are duplicating much effort. We are spending a great deal of time focusing on the 20% of topics, and the other 80% are hardly getting any attention at all. We need more skeptics to focus on that long tail, those lesser known topics. We need web sites that will fill in the long tail of skepticism.
Is Tim right?Â And if he is, what’s on the list of the 80% that skeptics who are looking for projects to focus on?Â If he isn’t, how can a newbie skeptic make a general purpose skeptical website stand out amongst the crowd?
P.S.Â Tim has a good starter list in his post already – of course, I’m looking for things outside that ;-)