After TAM 5.5, I said: “I’m just going to say I wish I lived in a world where all the people I interact with everyday were like most folks I met at TAM: smart, funny and rational.” TAM6 was no different. It makes me happy beyond measure to feel like I’m just part of the crowd, instead of the outsider with the skeptical outlook. (Click the pic for more photos at my Flickr page.)
If you’ll indulge me, a week after TAM 6, when I’m finally back home after a business trip to New York, I do have a few (pitifully late) shout-outs:
- Adam, Tim, Dave, Mike, Liz (she who graces the back cover of the 2009 Skepchick Calendar), Scott, Susan, Christian, David (Mr. April 2009), Carol, Brian, Tobias, Mark, Kristof, Lola & Amanda are even more awesome than the last time I saw them. All great people who I’m happy to count as friends, and don’t see often enough.
- Skepchicks, every one. You can’t see it, but it’s pretty much been a love-fest behind the scenes here at Skepchick this past week, because the congregation of some of us catalyzed the awesomeness of all of us. And in case any of you were wondering, SkepSam is a prince among men, and a Skepchick through and through.
- Did you think the Bad Astronomer couldn’t get any sweller? Me too, and we might just be right. However, meeting Mrs. BA certainly made me better for it. Finer people simply do not exist.
- Richard Saunders (Mr. November 2009) is exponentially cooler in person than he is on Skype, and he’s the coolest cat I know on Skype.
- Huge love and undying thanks to Simon (& Dave) for pinch-hitting at the last moment and saving my really cool new Skepchick project, which you’ll hear more about later. But for now: Huge love, lots of smooches, and many, many thanks.
- I thought Laura (Ms. July 2009) & Dan were hip when we got to know each other in cyberspace, but I had no idea. They are real, warm, lively & funny, and it was great to hang out with them.